Dimensioning spacing in regards to the extensin line

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MeSat

Dimensioning spacing in regards to the extensin line

Post by MeSat »

Hello,
I am working on some drawings and have an issue that I would like to know if there is a solution already in FreeCAD or if this is an issue.

I am using 0.20.2 (appimage) for doing my drawings.

I am in the process of doing the final drawings and I find that the dimensions are to close to the extension ines and I wonder if I can increase this spacing. I am using ISO Oriented Standard and Style. I have tried all the setting I can find and none of them have worked.
Dimension spacing
Dimension spacing
TechDraw_spacing.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
If you notice that the decimal point is at the same height as the extension line, and if the dimension is not aligned properly, this can be lost. Same with the numbers are actually lower than the end of the extension line. This is an issue when there are chained dimensions for smaller spacing as the numbers have to avoid the extension line.

Is it possible that there is a configuration file that allows this to be changed globally?
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Dimensioning spacing in regards to the extensin line

Post by wandererfan »

MeSat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:56 pm Is it possible that there is a configuration file that allows this to be changed globally?
There is no setting to adjust this.

issue #8512 added.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

To place a dimension across an extension line doesn't comply with any standard AFAIK.

Dimensions are to be placed either between the extension lines or (if there is not enough space) they may as well be placed outside, but not one part between and one part out side. If this rule is followed there is no need to adjust the extension line's extent.
MeSat

Post by MeSat »

Thanks.
bensay

Post by bensay »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:35 pm
user1234 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:13 pm There is a PR, https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/9209. Who is the author? Ready to test?
The author is @bensay.
Well, it works, though I don't lingually understand Wandererfans comments about what has to be fixed (@wandererfan please look at my comments, tried tagging you twice on GitHub https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... 1161741179).

Another thing is, that the distance from text to dimension is dependent on the line width - so the input in GUI should really just be a factor such that there will always be the same distance relative to the line width if the line width of the dimension change. Currently, my PR isn't set up so, I have to change that. (But I don't understand where the default is set, as there are 2 functions setting a value... awaiting @wandererfans expertise.