variant Link

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Demolux

Re: variant Link

Post by Demolux »

Hi!

I have read through this thread, the background info and some online resources multiple times but I cannot get this to work in the way it is described:

Having a Part (an extrusion and a variable container with a "Length" variable), the part does not show up when I then go to my Model and click on "Create a variant Part".

However, if I do use a Model and not a Part the Model shows up (kinda Workaround but not really beacause I cannot manage multiple extrusions in one file). The Part also shows up when clicking on "Insert Part" as usual.

I did not find what I did wrong. Here is a screenshot:

Part and Model, same structure, same Variable "Length" (though the second LCS is missing in the Model)

Both Part and Model show up when I click "Insert Part"

But not when I click "Create a variant Part". As far as I thought the Part should actually show up there:

Any hints?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Demolux wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:20 am Any hints?
Why do you put your stuff into that "N8 " folder ? Did you try without that ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Demolux

Post by Demolux »

Zolko wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:07 am
Demolux wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:20 am Any hints?
Why do you put your stuff into that "N8 " folder ? Did you try without that ?
With this approach I want to make one file containing all extrusions, each grouped after their notch width (hence N), in this case notch width 8mm.

I did try it without that too, but it does not show up. This time I also attached my files (without N8 group).

What I also tried is making a Part via PartWB and then add LCS and so on. That was actually my first approach, but with the same problem.
It even is a fresh install. I do get an error message in ASM4 loading though that may correlate, as you stated multiple times that a hidden Part is being created: ASM4 WARNING: Pylib anytree is missing, exportFiles is not available. I don't think it is but, maybe still that is why?
Attachments
extrusions.FCStd
(72.4 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
asm.FCStd
(4.73 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Demolux wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:20 am in the way it is described
variant Link uses variables in the Variables property container, and there can be only 1 object with that name ("Variables "), meaning you can only put 1 variant part to be used as variant link per file.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Demolux

Post by Demolux »

Ah that makes sense now. So what was masking that was that the Labels and Internal Names are opposite (Variables001 is Variables and vice versa). I actually tried renaming it but totally forgot about the Internal Naming.

I would probably have noticed it if I had put a third Model up (using Variables002).

So you need to have one file for each variant Part, I can live with that comfortably. Thank you for your work and time!