[Feature idea/development/request ]: Ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: [Feature idea/development/request ]: Ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces

Post by Jee-Bee »

I know i join late for this topic.

I like the idea of creating open sketches, but not for surfaces.
What i needed quite often in my work was creating extrusion profiles. When creating a extrusion profile it is quite normal to have a thin shape that more than once is not closed.
For that kind of work it is great that open sketches are aloud and that revolve / pad are able to add a thickness together with the length.
Just creating a single side (or center) of the extrude speed up the whole process and is less error prone than a offset( specially when a change is needed).
In case of FC I'm aware of that it allows less than for example Creo. for example a recangle with radii. if the radius == 3 and the thickness too it will fail.

I added an example with what i mean (a closed model for visual representation and an open sketch that can be an example of an input sketch for a pad)

Last note: A surface modeling workflow is by my experience in noway compatible with a PD workflow
Attachments
example_Open_Sketch.FCStd
(39.07 KiB) Downloaded 30 times