Idea for the main window

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lonfor

Re: Idea for the main window

Post by Lonfor »

doia wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:18 am Can you produce a screenshot of what happens if the ribbon has overflow?
Sure.
I am posting 4 pics in different stages of shrinking. Notice how the groups collapse into one single icon and the 2 auxiliary widgets showing up to scroll the collapsed groups.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230226_045541.png
Screenshot_20230226_045541.png (245.36 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Screenshot_20230226_045708.png
Screenshot_20230226_045708.png (117.19 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Screenshot_20230226_045840.png
Screenshot_20230226_045840.png (586.25 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Screenshot_20230226_045948.png
Screenshot_20230226_045948.png (551.9 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
grd

Post by grd »

@doia I have to remind you that the NX ribbon bar is NOT the ribbon bar that I am pointing out in the start of the thread! It CAN be the same but I don't know!
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Execution speed is rarely relevant for UI, python is usually more than enough. Where you want fast code is in stuff that has high computational load, normally complex math like the geometric kernel or the sketcher solver or an assembly solver and even there, we have a couple python based ones and they perform good enoguh, although they probably off load the actual solving to some library in C/C++.
grd

Post by grd »

@adrianinsaval Yes, I agree. @HakanSeven12 told us he wanted to do it if he gets the money.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Didn't he already did it on python? IIRC the money was for potentially implementing directly in FreeCAD in C++ and make a PR.
grd

Post by grd »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:35 pm Didn't he already did it on python? IIRC the money was for potentially implementing directly in FreeCAD in C++ and make a PR.
I don't know about a C++ implementation but I do know this viewtopic.php?p=659280#p659280
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

As you know I'm not developing anything for FreeCAD anymore. Because I lost my interest with project and lack of donations. So if you guys want to so a new ui implantation there is two way. First someone can take a look my modern ui project and develop something similar or I can do this with enough donations. Maybe you can contact with the developer of the repo to make a implantation for FreeCAD too.
xtemp09

Post by xtemp09 »

I was thinking about that and concluded that ribbon is not suitable for FreeCAD. Ribbon is few tabs, each with a set of toolbars grouped by functionality. The positions of the tabs and the toolbars are optimized for speed and easily change their look and size with resize event of the window or some options. If one reason to place all workbenches as tabs, it will be insanity. I thought to place a few, but people, like adrianinsaval will have to recustomize them more frequent than they want.

Ribbon UI will be optimal if FreeCAD undergoes certain transformations, such as reduction in the number of workbenches through merge of their functionality. This kind of transformation is not anticipated in foreseeable future.

There is a program that has huge functionality: Blender. Blender-like UI is more appropriate for FreeCAD. Blender has modes, like Object Mode, Edit Mode, Sculpt Mode. Each mode changes the set of toolbars available. This approach is suitable for FreeCAD, though it requires some merge of workbenches. Applying this approach, I don't think it's a big deal. Sketcher & Curves & PartDesign, Image & TechDraw & Spreadsheet, OpenSCAD & Mesh.

Some workbenches are not useful, methinks. They are Drawing, Web and Robot. Who uses them? Test Framework is germane for debug version or weekly builds.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

xtemp09 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:07 am ..
Applying this approach, I don't think it's a big deal. Sketcher & Curves & PartDesign, Image & TechDraw & Spreadsheet, OpenSCAD & Mesh.

Some workbenches are not useful, methinks. They are Drawing, Web and Robot. Who uses them? Test Framework is germane for debug version or weekly builds.
Probably some refactoring is needed but as example.

Part WB, Draft WB and ArchWB, maybe even TechDraw WB seem to have similar scopes and approach, drawing things, and some of them have even similar icons.

It would be a good thing to rethink the toolbars and maybe unify as example similar icons, maybe differentiate them using colors (with an eye for color blindness) so switching WB will be a more smooth passage.

Other WB as Sketcher and Part Design could benefit of a similar rationalisation, so passing from one WB to another will make less "icon ballets" and will improve perceived UI stability.

For other WB are too specific to permit to share a "common base".

The fact that a WB is not used by me (put your name) or by "most users" is not a reason to delete it from FC (There are some announced forks that already have these goals).

Most important is a refactor of FreeCAD where "similar tools" should have "similar workflow" but this has been discussed other times, and I think is already on developers radar.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/