Random musing through a sleepless night vs TNP

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Random musing through a sleepless night vs TNP

Post by drmacro »

As the subject implies, I was musing at 2AM in that half asleep state where random things drift thorough your mind. So, this is probably more musings of a mad man... :mrgreen:

Given merging the RT TNP mitigation is such a gargantuan task
Given that most of the features of the main branch are in Linkstage

Why not flip the tables?

Declare as of some date the main branch is now Linkstage. Then merge what needs to be taken from the old main to the new branch. (I presume this is far less of a task, since RT seems to manage it single handedly.)

The licensing incompatibility is only in A3, right?

I realize there are logistics required. But are they worse?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Random musing through a sleepless night vs TNP

Post by adrianinsaval »

if yo mean realthunder's fork... this is not feasible, it has A LOT of unreviewed changes that may not be desired, merging one way or another is not really the problem, it's reviewing and understanding code to fix or adapt if necessary and to later approve it.
If the problem was just fixing conflicts and pressing the merge button it would have been done a looong time ago since realthunder has rebased and done mergeable PRs in the past.
onekk
Veteran

Re: Random musing through a sleepless night vs TNP

Post by onekk »

What is negleted by manynus that Rt branch is not 100% compatible with FreeCAD files so probably it would break many old files.

And RT branch is almost 5000 commits ahead master branch, even RT admit that is difficult to stay in sync with master, as he has not many help in developing.

It is a thing clearly "hidden in plain sight".

RT has to be thanked for many contribution he has done to FreeCAD but I doubt that many RT partisan have ever contributed with $omething other than words to RT works.

But is an old story.

For what it counts Thank you very much RealThunder.

Kind Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/