Trying to fix Arch_Site

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Trying to fix Arch_Site

Post by Roy_043 »

Arch_Site has a couple of issues.

The most difficult problem is that if its Terrain property is empty it can show a 'ghost' of the objects in its Group. Open the attached FCStd file and change the Placement Angle of the Site object from 16 to 15 degrees to see that. If the Face object is selected as the Terrain the ghost disappears. But clearing the Terrain property then results in a ghost of the terrain still being shown for the Site.

I have played around with coin nodes to try to solve this, but did not succeed. The only solution that I could get to work is to always ensure a site has a Shape of its own (a Part.Vertex). See the attached PY file. But I do not know if this would be acceptable.

Some other issues related to transformations and missing __getstate__ and __setstate__ functions were also addressed in the attached PY file.

Source of the original error-Draft-SelectPlane.FCStd file:
viewtopic.php?t=75658

Related discussion about 'phantom elements':
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74731
Attachments
ArchSite.py
(45.89 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
error-Draft-SelectPlane.FCStd
(207.11 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
onekk
Veteran

Re: Trying to fix Arch_Site

Post by onekk »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:16 am ...
I have played around with coin nodes to try to solve this, but did not succeed. The only solution that I could get to work is to always ensure a site has a Shape of its own (a Part.Vertex). See the attached PY file. But I do not know if this would be acceptable.
Hello.

This come from a total noob in Architecture, so probably with a different "point of view", so if is OT sorry.

From what I know everything should have a Shape, if not it is not a solid and could not have some properties and probably appear in the "treeview".

A simple point will work, even this simple point as a ViewProvider that show an "entire world", maybe using a line, that could have a placement and a rotations, as it is a "non sense" to rotate a vertex (or better, it has some sense in 3d but probably it is hard to guess by many users).

Maybe even a plane, that could be moved as example up and down (Z+ and Z-) retaining an "inclination".

And probably having the way to toggle between the "plane" and the "terrain" will help in a more natural way "to position" the terrain representation.

It is interesting, as I was not aware of the existence "Arch Site", if I have some spare time I will check code you posted.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I am thinking the main problem of the arch site is that it's actually a Part object. We could try to make it a BuildingPart, with a "Terrain" PropertyLink maybe, but that has no influence over the BuildingPart itself? Then the IFC exporter could easily pick that...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

What would then be the function of the Site object? And would we then need a new Terrain object?

I have meanwhile found a solution for the coin nodes. Still working on some other issues.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Basically the site is there because it's an IFC feature. In a typical IFC file (99% of the IFC files out there are so), you have one IfcProject, which contains one IfcSite, which contains one or more IfcBuildings, which contain one or more IfcBuildingStoreys. So most BIM software will expect to find a Site. And the IFC site is usually a hybrid object, that has both a shape (the terrain itself) and serves as a container for other objects...

The Arch Site was created to fulfill that function. But now it looks to me we could simplify things by making it a container only. That would remove a series of problems. And it could have a slot so one can attach terrain geometry o it...
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

yorik wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:06 pm ... we could simplify things by making it a container only. That would remove a series of problems. And it could have a slot so one can attach terrain geometry to it...
I think it's a good idea.
Then to generate the terrain geometry , should i use part design workbench or a new command in the arch / bim workbench?
It would be great to be able to import a dxf with contour levels and create the terrain geometry directly with arch/bim workbench.
Maybe it could be an idea for google summer of code ?

I insert a link to see how to create a terrain geometry in archicad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcSzLOYFMBs
Loris