Arch WB Wall and splines

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Arch WB Wall and splines

Post by drmacro »

user1234 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:52 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:47 pm
user1234 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:59 am From a bricklayers point of view, hell no!
True, for building walls. ;)
It was, more or less, a joke, but i would still refuse to build a wall like that, if this have not a technical reason, like a concrete spiral for a turbine.

Greetings
user1234
It's ok 3d printers will be doing it for you. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hologram wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:20 pm In the present and in the near future in particular, we can use robots to construct curvy or patterned walls (especially with Pre-fab).
drmacro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:24 pm It's ok 3d printers will be doing it for you.
I know, but ordering objects (area efficiency) and maintain them (like simple thing like cleaning)? Rectangular ftw! Anyway, i am not in arch.

Greetings
user1234
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

drmacro wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:33 am It seems to be broken here. Basically just ignores the spline in a sketch.
Do you mind creating an issue on github to prevent this discussion and suggested solution above be forgotten please ?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

paullee wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:29 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:33 am It seems to be broken here. Basically just ignores the spline in a sketch.
Do you mind creating an issue on github to prevent this discussion and suggested solution above be forgotten please ?
issue #8370
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

onekk wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:26 pm
I don0t know the mathematics but you could use:

Code: Select all

spline2 = Part.OffsetCurve(bs0, 10, V3d(0,0,1))

Part.show(spline2.toShape(), "offset_spline")
I can´t produce a correctly offsetted bspline (i mean usable for walls) with this method it seems... Does it work for you if you offset for ex. along (0,1,0)?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

yorik wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:45 am ...
I can´t produce a correctly offsetted bspline (i mean usable for walls) with this method it seems... Does it work for you if you offset for ex. along (0,1,0)?
For some "directions" it produces weird results, when experimenting I have found that as example if you draw the BSpline in the XY plane, you could extrude it but modify the code

Part.show(spline2.toShape(), "offset_splineV001")

spline3 = Part.OffsetCurve(bs0, 10, V3d(0, 1, 0))

Part.show(spline3.toShape(), "offset_splineV010")

spline4 = Part.OffsetCurve(bs0, 10, V3d(1, 0, 0))

Part.show(spline4.toShape(), "offset_splineV100")

offset_splineV100 is weird as it made a jump (why?) other seems more reasonable in aspect.

For which I was speaking about of mathematics behind Offset the Vector is not clear.

but as example if you use some not "relative axis data" I could not a reasonable term to define them:

spline5 = Part.OffsetCurve(bs0, 10, V3d(0.5, 0.5, 0.5))

Part.show(spline5.toShape(), "offset_splineVhhh")
It seems again a reasonable result, (It has to see if it has some "sense")

I don't know with other data, but test code is general enough to modify data and experimenting, and maybe ask @wmayer what he thinks of weird results, maybe they have sense, but I can't see a reason for the "jump".

Sorry but I' model with scripting and usually find a way to make the job other times, I try to search workarounds, as I'm wiritng almot everyday code for FreeCAD to produce solids. If some of my experiments, could help to make FreeCAD better, I'm very pleased to contribute.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The vector in this case is a normal I think. Leaving it at (0,0,1) should be OK for walls. In the example 10 is the offset distance.