FreeCAD Schematics workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Evgeniy

Re: FreeCAD Schematics workbench

Post by Evgeniy »

paddle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 am This is very interesting! Though with KiCAD being as advanced as it is, the competition is tough!
Definitely KiCad is advanced. But when I started working with it, its interface was not intuitive for me. Perhaps it's a matter of habit of course.

tobiasfalk wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:49 am This/The idear dous not have the aim to compeet against KiCAD and actualy is for something that may have simalaratys but is still for diferent purpuses. This tool would be used if you want to create the WireringPlan for a switchbox or controll cabinate.
I don't know if I have the strength to do something related to electrics... We'll see.

saso wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:17 pm :roll:
It was necessary to insert a screenshot from ISIS Proteus so it would look more impressive... :D

onekk wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:02 pm something like a Sqlite3 relational database
This is done much easier without databases.

paddle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:21 pm Maybe Kicad could be talked into merging in FreeCAD as a workbench :D
Theoretically, it is possible that someone will make a converter from KiCad or QElectroTech to FreeCAD, but this still requires a convenient two-dimensional base for displaying content.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Updated. Primitive shapes added.
Update.gif
Update.gif (360.19 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Dean_1405

Post by Dean_1405 »

Looks really nice but i think that rotation should work counterclockwise, its standard in CAD systems :)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Is it kind of tool for design electrical system in a building project? To be added to BIM / Arch forum ?
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

Dean_1405 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:38 pm rotation should work counterclockwise, its standard in CAD systems :)
For me, the azimuth angles is more convenient, where zero is at the "top", and the clockwise deviation is positive like in clocks.
Qt uses the analogous system: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qgraphicsrotation.html
So far, this is how things stand...

paullee wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:11 pm Is it kind of tool for design electrical system in a building project? To be added to BIM / Arch forum ?
Not. This is not related to Arch or BIM in any way.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

I see, thanks.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Is this to address electrical schematics (i.e. electrical systems/ladder diagrams in cars, planes, buildings, etc.) or is it to address electronic schematics for printed circuit boards?

If it is to address electrical schematics it is an exciting addition to look forward to in FreeCAD. It is not in competition with KiCAD, since KiCAD addresses PCB schematics and layout.
Last edited by drmacro on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

This is one of the most common problem in FC development, doing things for one own needs, we end up with a handful if not a dozen of same solutions, most of the time non of them really finished or maintained and mostly non of them working well together... FC is a general cad tool, schematics are not just from electronic or electric, they are used also in hvac, plumbing,... This was also the main reason why in the past we were thinking about QElectroTech, not because of its gui, as maybe wrongly understood by my posted concept image, but the fact that it has 9373 symbols (version 0.9) and covers several different domains (grouped under collections as Electric, Logic, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, Energy), such a wide / generic implementation of schematic is what is really needed also in FC.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

saso wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:53 am This is one of the most common problem in FC development, doing things for one own needs, we end up with a handful if not a dozen of same solutions, most of the time non of them really finished or maintained and mostly non of them working well together... FC is a general cad tool, schematics are not just from electronic or electric, they are used also in hvac, plumbing,... This was also the main reason why in the past we were thinking about QElectroTech, not because of its gui, as maybe wrongly understood by my posted concept image, but the fact that it has 9373 symbols (version 0.9) and covers several different domains (grouped under collections as Electric, Logic, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, Energy), such a wide / generic implementation of schematic is what is really needed also in FC.
Agreed. Just to clarify my thoughts; ladder diagrams, plumbing, HVAC are not PCB/schematics. Similar, sure, but the applications addressed by QElectroTech and KiCAD are different. If this workbench aims to compete with QElectroTech then fine. If it plans to compete with KiCAD, I'd say it will probably fall into the "handful if not a dozen of same solutions, most of the time non of them really finished or maintained and mostly non of them working well together." category because the nut that has been cracked by KiCAD and KiCADStepup workbench because of the daunting task that implies. But, even competing with QElectroTech is tough, if for no other reason than the exiting symbol libraries and domains addressed.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

I would not say that I compete with other similar applications, rather I do what I think it should look like.
Last edited by Evgeniy on Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.