Topological Naming Issue: any news?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Topological Naming Issue: any news?

Post by Shalmeneser »

BartR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:22 pm On my project, I 've made 2 threaded holes. Once the proof-of-concept was ready, I have made some small modifications and the thread is not more needed. So I decided to remove it. Just untick the "thread" checkbox. Once closed, all the project was screwed-up and now i have to correct things one by one :-/
Can you provide your file ?

btw, try to select only specific quoted texts.
BartR

Post by BartR »

saso wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:10 pm
BartR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:22 pm On my project, I 've made 2 threaded holes. Once the proof-of-concept was ready, I have made some small modifications and the thread is not more needed. So I decided to remove it. Just untick the "thread" checkbox. Once closed, all the project was screwed-up and now i have to correct things one by one :-/
Have you modeled it in the standard FC version or in realthunders FC ? If you have modeled it in the standard version and if you still have a copy of the final "good" model with thread and if you have the time and will :) then you could do a small test, download and open your model in realthunders (FCLink) version (BUT DO SAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE :) ), first test will be to see if your model will upgrade to TP support with no issues, second remove the thread as you did and see if the TP implemented in his version will save you the trouble... or not :roll: because this is how it will be once his TP solution is implemented in the master and every bit of testing can help
At the end, I have remade the features into the project.
Yes I'm using the official release.
I discovered that not only the names of the faces are changing, with the TNP. Also the names of the edges are changing. This created me major difficulties because all the additive pipes were scr*d-up

Post by drmacro »

BartR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:37 pm ...
I discovered that not only the names of the faces are changing, with the TNP. Also the names of the edges are changing. This created me major difficulties because all the additive pipes were scr*d-up
When a recompute happens the model is renumbered (all generated edges/vertexes, have the potential of being renumbered by the modelling engine).
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
BartR

Post by BartR »

drmacro wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:45 pm
BartR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:37 pm ...
When a recompute happens the model is renumbered (all generated edges/vertexes, have the potential of being renumbered by the modelling engine).
Uhm then it means that to refer to datum planes etc, is not really a solution or workaround :-/
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Given the title of this discussion topic, I feel compelled to point you to the VERY recent discussion that many of us had LIVE at FreeCAD Day 2023 about this very topic! viewtopic.php?p=658250#p658250
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
BartR

Post by BartR »

chennes wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm Given the title of this discussion topic, I feel compelled to point you to the VERY recent discussion that many of us had LIVE at FreeCAD Day 2023 about this very topic! viewtopic.php?p=658250#p658250
Did I understand correctly that yesterday you were here in Brussel and that there was a convention about FreeCAD? :-o
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I am STILL here in Brussels, and yes, on Friday we had FreeCAD Day 2023 -- it was awesome! And yes, we discussed Toponaming quite a bit.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

BartR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 pm Uhm then it means that to refer to datum planes etc, is not really a solution or workaround :-/
The TPM issue can be avoided if you simply learn to attach sketches to origin planes rather than the model itself. If you have to refer to the model, reference the sketch that created the feature. At least it is one step removed from the TPM problem.

In my humble experience TPM is not a day-to-day problem except for dress-up features such as chamfers, fillets, thickness, etc. but even those can be minimized or easily repaired if you include them in sketches or early or late as possible in the tree.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
BartR

Post by BartR »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:56 am
BartR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 pm Uhm then it means that to refer to datum planes etc, is not really a solution or workaround :-/
The TPM issue can be avoided if you simply learn to attach sketches to origin planes rather than the model itself. If you have to refer to the model, reference the sketch that created the feature. At least it is one step removed from the TPM problem.

In my humble experience TPM is not a day-to-day problem except for dress-up features such as chamfers, fillets, thickness, etc. but even those can be minimized or easily repaired if you include them in sketches or early or late as possible in the tree.
Well but when a sketch is referred to a datum plane (as I did yesterday) and it's a path for a Additive subtractive pipe, once you change something into the project, FreeCAD renames not only the faces but also the edges. And I found all my Additive pipes ruined.

Yes, Fillets and Chamfers, I learned to use them at the very end. Although any modification I will do in one of the features coming before them, will screws them up and I have to edit them. Because edges (as well, as I said) are renamed. Being them referred to edges, all the application path is ruined.
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@BartR : can you provide your file ?