Restraint by Coordinates (X-Z)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ChipsNChips

Restraint by Coordinates (X-Z)

Post by ChipsNChips »

I have a disc shaped part on the X-Y plane, 7" diameter and 0.5" thick. I want to subtract a round groove, 1/2" from the OD on one of the flat sides of that disk. The groove's cross section will be part of a circle. I need to sketch a circle in the X-Z (or Y-Z) plane to do this with the groove tool. It's center needs to be 3.25" to the right and 0.53" above the origin. If I add constrained lines from the origin to that point to locate the center of the circle, the groove tool assumes they are part of the groove and the center of my disk is removed along with the desired groove. And if I erase the lines after drawing the circle, then the circle disappears.

So how can I locate a circle on the X-Z plane with it's center at those coordinates? I have looked but nothing seems obvious.
Bance
Veteran

Re: Restraint by Coordinates (X-Z)

Post by Bance »

Please read and follow the posting rules. http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
ChipsNChips wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:33 amIf I add constrained lines from the origin to that point to locate the center of the circle
Why would you do that? Is not sufficient to constrain the centre of the circle?

A sketcher reference for you.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sketcher_reference
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

you have 2 solutions
1st rapid: you place the center of the disc where the center of the groove will be
2em: you draw the profile of the groove in a plane perpendicular to its position, and you draw a line vertically in the center of the groove which will be the axis of ref
Attachments
grove.FCStd
(27.91 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
grove.JPG
grove.JPG (13.63 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Do you need a groove ?
Where is your file with your problem ? It's quicker for us just to modify your file (and sometime find other errors or bad way).
ChipsNChips

Post by ChipsNChips »

I have to stop working so late at night. I simply could not make this work at 5 AM. My bad!

So, I opened FreeCAD and made one more try at it and everything worked perfectly. I started a new sketch on the X-Z plane and drew a circle. I choose the origin and the center of that circle and applied horizontal and vertical constraints. No problem. I constrained the diameter of the circle and everything was fully constrained.
ToolCarouselBaseGrooveTool01.jpg
ToolCarouselBaseGrooveTool01.jpg (273.5 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Went to the Parts Design workbench and selected the Groove tool. The exact groove I wanted appeared with no further steps.
ToolCarouselBaseGrooveTool02.jpg
ToolCarouselBaseGrooveTool02.jpg (231.84 KiB) Viewed 301 times
It couldn't be easier. And I have no idea why the exact same thing did not work last night. OK, it probably wasn't the exact same thing. Like I said, my bad!

I really must stop working so late. My apologies for the unnecessary question. And I assume the comment about reading the posting rules referred to the lack of photos or the file. I will remember that.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

ChipsNChips wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:24 am I will remember that.
Equally important (though perhaps not this particular instance,) is version information as described.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.31709 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e188802ca6997d2564e7570ab648462e6a059f87
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.6, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.6.6
  * fasteners 0.4.54
  * dodo 1.0.0