[Feature request] Additional keys for Draft Workbench's In-Command Shortcuts

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Hologram

[Feature request] Additional keys for Draft Workbench's In-Command Shortcuts

Post by Hologram »

For the Draft workbench, I would like to see additional keys being supported in the In-Command Shortcuts:
In-command Shortcuts .png
In-command Shortcuts .png (112.86 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Examples of these include, using "Enter" to Exit (confirm) instead of/ in addition to "A". Other keys that are missing are Spacebar (in case you don't want to use it for visibility) and Tab (e.g. for cycling snaps). This would help people configure FreeCAD to be closer to the CAD packages they may have used in the past to ease the transition to FreeCAD.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Additional keys for Draft Workbench's In-Command Shortcuts

Post by drmacro »

Hmm...I'm just curious.

Do you check for existing FR's in the github before asking?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Hologram

Re: [Feature request] Additional keys for Draft Workbench's In-Command Shortcuts

Post by Hologram »

drmacro wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:36 pm Hmm...I'm just curious.

Do you check for existing FR's in the github before asking?
I do a Google search and a forum search. And if nothing shows up there, I post here. I'll remember to search Github too next time.

E: the only one is see is an issue report of mine, so no existing FRs as far as I can tell.
Screenshot 2023-02-04 135808.png
Screenshot 2023-02-04 135808.png (119.24 KiB) Viewed 313 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

It can be difficult to move to a new software when one is so enamoured with wherever they came from. Tough to give up muscle memory.

Bugs are one thing. FR's are another. FR's get done when someone takes it upon themselves to sit down and write, modify, or add the code.

So, don't be too disappointed if you don't see your suggestions forthcoming.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Hologram

Post by Hologram »

drmacro wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:10 pm Bugs are one thing. FR's are another. FR's get done when someone takes it upon themselves to sit down and write, modify, or add the code.

So, don't be too disappointed if you don't see your suggestions forthcoming.
Trust me, I won't. I know it takes time. And someone who sees value in the requests too.

Personally, I consider requesting features as a part of the learning process. You really have to think well about how the software works and why it should adopt something new. Sometimes people post good workarounds too.

At least there's a chance that next time I get to do a project with the software, it might have been added.
And it might have helped others in their workflows too.
If not, nothing lost. ;)