how to download and install an 'older' version of FreeCAD on Linux

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dbyy

how to download and install an 'older' version of FreeCAD on Linux

Post by dbyy »

Hello,
I'm running Linux Mint v20.3.
In my repository the latest version of FreeCAD is 0.18.4
I downloaded also the latest version as AppImage (v 0.20.2)
Now I'm following some videos on Youtube to learn more about FreeCAD. These videos are based on v 0.19. and don't match v 0.20.2 or 0.18.4.
How can I download/install an older version, preferably as Appimage?
Many Thanks in advance.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: how to download and install an 'older' version of FreeCAD on Linux

Post by drmacro »

dbyy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm Hello,
I'm running Linux Mint v20.3.
In my repository the latest version of FreeCAD is 0.18.4
I downloaded also the latest version as AppImage (v 0.20.2)
Now I'm following some videos on Youtube to learn more about FreeCAD. These videos are based on v 0.19. and don't match v 0.20.2 or 0.18.4.
How can I download/install an older version, preferably as Appimage?
Many Thanks in advance.
You would be better off keeping 0.20 and using updated videos. For instance the 2 beginners series by MangoJelly on YouTube.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

dbyy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:53 pm ...
Hello, it is not avery clever move, as FreeCAD is improving so you will learn "old ways" and most probably "wrong ways" to do things.

There are very few good YT video out of here, and who is doing "good video" usually is mintsining them "in sync" with actual FreeCAD version .

The fact that a video is referring to an old version of a Software is an indicator of the "lack of professionality" of the video maker.

Expecially in Science and Software old is not usually synonym of "good", as bugfix and improvement are the core work of Software developing.

Notably AppImages are working on as example StdC library at the moment of the build.

As example in my actual Arch Linux install 0.19 AppImage is not working anymore due to some library mismatch. Probably with 0.18 this could be even worse.

I've hear that some people use "Virtual Images" to run "old distributions" with "old software" to avoid this problem, but I think that it is a too complicate work to be done if you are not forced to use a precise version of a Software for very important reasons.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
routalot

Post by routalot »

As another Linux Mint user,I can understand the frustration about the repository version being out of date.I ignore it and for a year or so have been downloading the AppImage from the download page.The way I do it,I copy the downloaded AppImage to the desktop and right click on it-then click properties-permissions to get to the section marked Execute click on the square that says Allow executing file as program.

To open the program just right click to bring up a menu then left click on Open.It should then open,and off you go.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

routalot wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:33 am As another Linux Mint user,I can understand the frustration about the repository version being out of date.I ignore it and for a year or so have been downloading the AppImage from the download page.The way I do it,I copy the downloaded AppImage to the desktop and right click on it-then click properties-permissions to get to the section marked Execute click on the square that says Allow executing file as program.

To open the program just right click to bring up a menu then left click on Open.It should then open,and off you go.
+1
dbyy

Post by dbyy »

Thanks, you are the only one who really answered my questions. All other replies imposing their own opinion about something but not answering my question (that happened very often in forums, I just don't know why).
Thanks to everyone who's taken the time and opened my forums posting.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

dbyy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 am
Thanks, you are the only one who really answered my questions. All other replies imposing their own opinion about something but not answering my question (that happened very often in forums, I just don't know why).
Thanks to everyone who's taken the time and opened my forums posting.
You are welcome.

But this information is probably among first you will find when using the official FreeCAD webpage under downloading.

It is not hidden.

It's only a matter of reading things, maybe even the IMPORTANT banner at top of help forum.

But I'm an old dinosaurs that start computing were there are things called manuals and you have to read them 'prior' to start using a software.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

dbyy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 am All other replies imposing their own opinion about something but not answering my question (that happened very often in forums, I just don't know why).
Because you don't pay enough. :mrgreen:
We are used here to answer non-asked question and to deviate from the OP question too.
routalot

Post by routalot »

Apologies for not telling you how to install an outmoded version.The more recent versions have so many improvements that it seemed cruel to deprive you of them.