Wire not closed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jbstarship

Wire not closed

Post by jbstarship »

Dear Community,
I have attached a file that will show an input error stating "Wire is not closed" when trying to use the Pad function. I zoomed out to ensure all points are connected. I also tried to use the DOF function "Close Shape" and "Connect Edges". Neither of these functions work well. I am most likely not using this CAD program properly, but I am not new to CAD usage. Help would be greatly appreciated. Have a blessed day.
Attachments
Dremel_Adapter.FCStd
(11.62 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Bance
Veteran

Re: Wire not closed

Post by Bance »

Try a tutorial....

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_ ... PartDesign

Just because points are in the same place doesn't mean they're connected.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

jbstarship wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:59 pm Dear Community,
I have attached a file that will show an input error stating "Wire is not closed" when trying to use the Pad function. I zoomed out to ensure all points are connected. I also tried to use the DOF function "Close Shape" and "Connect Edges". Neither of these functions work well. I am most likely not using this CAD program properly, but I am not new to CAD usage. Help would be greatly appreciated. Have a blessed day.
Fully constrained is a misunderstood phrase. It means all DOF (degrees of freedom) have been addressed. So, the vertexes in question are constrained, but not coincident. To constitute a closed shape, the physical proximity of two vertexes is meaningless, they must be marked coincident. It is best, before applying dimensional constraints, to wiggle lines to confirm all coincident vertexes have been marked accordingly.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Dremel_Adapter_SHALM.FCStd
(27.21 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Capture d’écran 2023-02-04 083406.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-02-04 083406.jpg (45.8 KiB) Viewed 549 times