MOTOR ESTRELLA

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pmlee

MOTOR ESTRELLA

Post by pmlee »

This is my recent work: MOTOR ESTRELLA.

I spend a lot of time creating this model. Especially the propeller part. It is very challenging.
motor_estrella1.png
motor_estrella1.png (299.16 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
motor_estrella2.png
motor_estrella2.png (239.53 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
motor_estrella3.png
motor_estrella3.png (259.47 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
motor_estrella4.png
motor_estrella4.png (238.49 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
motor_estrella5.png
motor_estrella5.png (262.27 KiB) Viewed 8716 times

The plan of this model can be found here:http://planosconciri.blogspot.com/2010/ ... rella.html
chrisb
Veteran

Re: MOTOR ESTRELLA

Post by chrisb »

Can you give some information how you modeled it, workbenches used, suggestions for success?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pmlee

Post by pmlee »

The most difficult part is the propeller part. Especially the curve surface like the following:
1.png
1.png (227.95 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
2.png
2.png (221.61 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
4.png
4.png (232.06 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
You need to think of the corresponding position between the propeller and the nose like the following:
3.png
3.png (252.32 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
5.png
5.png (260.49 KiB) Viewed 8331 times
Except that, this model is not that hard to model and assemble.
pmlee

Post by pmlee »

phpBB [video]

I've create animation of this engine using Assembly 4 workbench. This is very fun! I enjoy the process very much!!
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

pmlee wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:49 pm
I've create animation of this engine using Assembly 4 workbench. This is very fun! I enjoy the process very much!!
Most excellent! Thank you for sharing.

Could you please add a brief description of how you set-up the assembly LCS's and constraints for the animation? It would be helpful to all of us engine modelers.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
pmlee

Post by pmlee »

ppemawm wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:05 pm
pmlee wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:49 pm
Most excellent! Thank you for sharing.

Could you please add a brief description of how you set-up the assembly LCS's and constraints for the animation? It would be helpful to all of us engine modelers.

This is a very good question. I've create a short video to demonstrate the "bones" I created in the animation for you as a reference. I hope this short video helps.

phpBB [video]
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

pmlee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:38 pm I've create a short video to demonstrate the "bones" I created in the animation for you as a reference.
Thank you, very interesting.

It appears that you are using a master sketch(es) of the master and slave connecting rods as a solver for Assembly4. Could you include a screenshot of the sketch showing the LCS attachments? I am assuming you attached the connecting rods to the sketch.

It would also be helpful to new users if you could include an image of the tree in the Assembly4 file. Also, please comment on how you structured your part files, any sub-assemblies, attachment offset variables, etc. for their benefit from all your good work.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

pmlee wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:38 pm I've create a short video to demonstrate the "bones" I created in the animation for you as a reference.
Nice !!! Did you concatenate several videos into one (but then, how did you manage to make it turn continuously ?)), or did you make an intermediate variable that progressively shows parts that were hidden (but then, how on earth did you get this working ?) ?

Are you going to simulate the valves too ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
pmlee

Post by pmlee »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:34 pm
Thank you, very interesting.

It appears that you are using a master sketch(es) of the master and slave connecting rods as a solver for Assembly4. Could you include a screenshot of the sketch showing the LCS attachments? I am assuming you attached the connecting rods to the sketch.

It would also be helpful to new users if you could include an image of the tree in the Assembly4 file. Also, please comment on how you structured your part files, any sub-assemblies, attachment offset variables, etc. for their benefit from all your good work.
Sorry to respond late. We just have our new Rabbit Lunar Year vacation. In order for all of you to learn how I create this model. I've upload the origional .FCStd files to GrabCAD. The url is:

https://grabcad.com/library/motor-estrella-19

Now! All the secrets are revealed~~ Happy Modeling!!
pmlee

Post by pmlee »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:38 am
Nice !!! Did you concatenate several videos into one (but then, how did you manage to make it turn continuously ?)), or did you make an intermediate variable that progressively shows parts that were hidden (but then, how on earth did you get this working ?) ?

Are you going to simulate the valves too ?
This video is actually combined from 3 different videos (with different angles). The variable I use is only one: angle. I've upload the origional .FCStd files to GrabCAD. You may download all the files if you like:

https://grabcad.com/library/motor-estrella-19