Musicstreamer (Head-Fi)

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hsmeets

Musicstreamer (Head-Fi)

Post by hsmeets »

Hi,

2 weeks into using FC (20.2 on a Mac). Used SU before and a short sidestep to F/360. I'm not a mechanical engineer, worked in IT (ERP, CRM,..) now FIRE.

Designing a small case to hold a RPI Zero 2W and a Hifiberry DAC running software to emulate a Squeezebox music streamer.

Still on the steep part of the learning curve :-) but after reading/seeing tutorials now getting my hands dirty, still a bit of trial+error, so frequently saving file (and make a copy). Working my way through Partdesign/Sketcher, Techdraw, A2Plus and the Fastener workbenches.

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-24 om 21.45.00.png
Schermafbeelding 2023-01-24 om 21.45.00.png (606.3 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
To be 3D printed. Still a lot of details to cover.

Starting to like FC......
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Musicstreamer (Head-Fi)

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for showing what can be learned in two weeks time. How many hours per day did you invest?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

what is SU?
hsmeets

Post by hsmeets »

Hi,

How many hours? Mhmm, hard to tell, 2 or 3 evenings I burned some midnight oil ;-) and maybe on average I spend 3 hours a day. But this was not all for learning FC. I was already familiar with the concept of getting from 2D to 3D through padding/extruding/... because before I used SU for 'everything'. Aside learning FC In past 2 weeks I've been also mulling over different case designs and how I could assemble them. So a few earlier version of the case were already explored. The learning curve for me was/is mostly: what is the best-praxis is using FC, like: having 1 body or multiple ones and assemble these later on, use of mastersketch/spreadheet to contain dimensional(constraints) so the actual parts only have geometrical constraints and changes to dimension can be done quickly. So the shell above is 1 body (excluding the RPI and HifiBerry ofcourse, these come from Grabcad and Hifiberry). So all in all the hours spend last 2 weeks are not only learning FC but also scorching the internet for data, mulling over the design and construction, side step to KiCAD for a PCB design I had in mind for a different version of the case, reading about MJF 3D printing, learning about the pitfalls of too coarse tessellation.... etc etc.

Regards,

Huib
hsmeets

Post by hsmeets »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:17 amwhat is SU?
Sketchup