PartDesign corrupted geometry

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
spinlokd

PartDesign corrupted geometry

Post by spinlokd »

Hello,

Apologies for the vague post subject, I encountered odd issues while with the Pocket feature in PartDesign but it's probably not the actual culprit.

I was working on a thing, exclusively in PartDesign + Sketcher. Thought I was done then realized I needed to add 1 more hole in an existing Pocket (Bottom Attachment Screw Holes). I tried to add it by modifying the Sketch (Sketch007) the Pocket was linked to and add a lovely rounded rectangle to it, hit Close and saw it made a hash of things.
Ran analyzer and it said that a different Pocket had an issue (Ring Reinforcement Cutout). Tried to fix the Reinforcement Cutout Pocket (instead of using Through all, used Up To Face to prevent geometry from intersecting).
I also tried to remove fillets and add the modification to the sketch when it was the last item on the list.
Also, in one of the screen shots, it's complaining about Wall Mounting Holes Pocket sketch. That error seems to happen every other time when other errors pop up, and I try to fix them.

I don't know if it's an issue with Pockets or what...

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.1128.26244 +5318 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: d45d221edcc7a757eb4e4eb638da0db5ed2759aa
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Mount.FCStd
(726.43 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Bottom Attachment Screw Holes Pocket.png
Bottom Attachment Screw Holes Pocket.png (414.95 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Ring Reinforcement Cutout Pocket.png
Ring Reinforcement Cutout Pocket.png (257.95 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
Ring Reinforcement Cutout Pocket 2.png
Ring Reinforcement Cutout Pocket 2.png (182.57 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PartDesign corrupted geometry

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You have attached the sketches to generated geometry and thus you go trapped by the topological naming problem. Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

As you may see in the picture below, I do not have this problem with this model using my LinkDaily build

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.31583 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: e3832a876dbc7fc97776f6465d600b6994e33a53
Python version: 3.10.6
Qt version: 5.15.3
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.7.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Mount.png
Mount.png (226.11 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
wieszak17

Post by wieszak17 »

From my experience: such error like on your screenshots is quite rare and connected to complicated geometry. TNP should not be an issue here. But there is also a catch - most probably it is some memory corruption at OCC. As soon as you see one point being center of many random lines you should close FC and check your model in newly opened FC, otherwise you will get random problems with checks, features etc. even if you delete all features and start anew. Sometime ago i wanted to report that bug, but have no luck with preparing file to include in report - most cases bug shows only after some time with FC and saved file usually opens ok, sometimes complaining that last feature could not be created but in 'normal' way.

Maybe connected is this problem: sometimes i try to make some non trivial fillet. At creation time i'm trying to set as big radius as i can. Then i got proper fillet at say 5mm, increasing that to 6mm and got error cannot create fillet so return to 5mm and same thing - cannot create fillet. And from this point until i close FC there is no possibility to create that fillet at that 5mm or even at all. After restart again no problem with 5mm... but now i dont have such file to show that.
spinlokd

Post by spinlokd »

wsteffe wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:33 am As you may see in the picture below, I do not have this problem with this model using my LinkDaily build
Could you please try adding an extra hole between the 2 existing holes in Bottom Attachment Screw Holes Pocket?
Alternatively, I can attach the "bad" version of the file, after I tried to make the modification

---
chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:52 am You have attached the sketches to generated geometry and thus you go trapped by the topological naming problem. Have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models.
I am confused about this - isn't the whole point of the realthunder fork is to prevent topo issues? Or you're saying that my model is too complicated for the LinkBranch?
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

spinlokd wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:23 am Could you please try adding an extra hole between the 2 existing holes in Bottom Attachment Screw Holes Pocket?
I have done and I confirm that it gets screwed. I also think that it is a TPN problem.
It is not related with the fillets. The problem arises also in a simplified design in which all following fillets are deleted.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

No I changed my mind. It can not be a TPN problem because, in the simplified design without fillets, it happens after
changing the last feature in the sequence. It doesn't happen in a following feature which is referring a wrong geometric element.
It involves directly the pad associated with the changed sketch.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

spinlokd wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:23 am I am confused about this - isn't the whole point of the realthunder fork is to prevent topo issues? Or you're saying that my model is too complicated for the LinkBranch?
Sorry, I double faulted and neither saw the forum you had posted to, nor had I looked at your FreeCAD infos.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Hi spinlokd, I have created a new issue referring to this post at https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/issues/672.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

This is not a topo naming related problem, but most likely an OCC tolerance issue. I'll investigate further and post in my issue thread.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal