bug with Wiki file size

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

bug with Wiki file size

Post by uwestoehr »

When I want to upload an image, I get the info that the allowed file size is 2 MB. However, when I upload a GIF that has a size of 1.1 MB, I get this error:

Code: Select all

413 Request Entity Too Large
Can any admin please have a look and set the file size limit to 2 MB?
2 MB for an animation is not too much. As it seems the current actual limit is only 1 MB.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: bug with Wiki file size

Post by chrisb »

The usage of animated gifs was discussed here some time ago and for several reasons it was rather deprecated to use them for different reasons.
One of them was the size and webm format was recommended instead, but this was for forum use.
Another reason was, that it is often very hard to follow such gifs, because they have no start and no end, and it often takes quite some time to identify what exactly the workflow is.
Domad shows here some gifs which are better in both respects. They are not like a film, but rather like a set of screenshots showing better the decisive moments. As far as I know these aren't used in the wiki.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:01 pm The usage of animated gifs was discussed here some time ago and for several reasons
OK.
However, my problem is the file size. I encounter this frequently. Since the upload page states 2 MB are OK, it should really be 2 MB, not only 1 MB.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:35 pm However, my problem is the file size. I encounter this frequently. Since the upload page states 2 MB are OK, it should really be 2 MB, not only 1 MB.
Of course! We had a similar situation here in the forum, which depended on the forum style. Where did you see the 2MB limit? The limit shown should of course be correct, in either way: showing the correct one or raising it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:41 am Where did you see the 2MB limit?
* create a new file link in a Wiki page
* preview the page and in the preview click on the link
* you will get a page to upload an image and there you see "2MB"