Draft Facebinder

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Draft Facebinder

Post by yorik »

I had this idea since quite some time... It's a very simple object that is constructed from selected faces of other objects. It is of course parametric, you can modify the original object and the facebinder object updates accordingly. It can then be used for example for making an extrusion. It is simple to use:
1. Select faces on objects (with CTRL)
2 . Press the "Facebinder" button.
3. You can move the facebinder around, everything stays linked.

Could be useful, no?
bernd
Veteran

Re: Draft Facebinder

Post by bernd »

Yes, Really usefull, indeed. Bernd
bakuiseok

Post by bakuiseok »

However, when using the offset, there is a problem that the corners are not connected. Also, it is difficult to see how the sew property is used. Could you help me with my question?

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72646

Freecad seem to be difficult to make architecture finishes. There are frequent errors, and even though I did add arch components, there is a line in my face. I've been using it for three weeks, but I think it's a very difficult program to apply to practice.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

yorik wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:31 pm Could be useful, no?
Isn't this already possible? There are two flavors:
1) You can move the extrude. In the attached file I did this with the left "Extrude" which was made from a Facebinder attached to the red face.
2) You can move the ShapeBinder directly by changing its Placement. In the attached file I did this with "Facebinder001", which is attached to the blue face and was moved to the right. The extrude using it follows then. This second method is probably interesting if faces and not solids are used.

Both follow changes of the Cube.
SnipScreenshot-92b648.png
SnipScreenshot-92b648.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Attachments
moveFaceBinder.FCStd
(8.16 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

bakuiseok wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:13 am However, when using the offset, there is a problem that the corners are not connected. Also, it is difficult to see how the sew property is used. Could you help me with my question?

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72646

Freecad seem to be difficult to make architecture finishes. There are frequent errors, and even though I did add arch components, there is a line in my face. I've been using it for three weeks, but I think it's a very difficult program to apply to practice.
Interesting issue, moving your original post to Draft, Arch & BIM sub-forum hopefully to get more direct attention :)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

This topic is 9 years old...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:10 am This topic is 9 years old...
:oops:, I just saw it in my unread posts.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.