Changed default background color

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Changed default background color

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:23 pm I think we should make a standard file that would showcase some fo these colors, the proposed backgrounds then should post a screenshot of said file in edit mode and a list of the colors used, if the proposed background obviously does not work with the current sketcher colors then the person making the proposal can propose different colors there and showcase them if he so desires.
Good idea! We should also show an object outside of Sketcher.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

A simple cube would do IMO:
Attachments
colorsShowcaseTemplate.FCStd
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
3d.png
3d.png (5.93 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Besides the basic workbenches such as Part, Sketcher, PartDesign, Draft it seems that Path and FEM workbenches are often used. Especially by users who don't fancy CAD all by itself but rather to obtain the final result.
Should we prepare templates too? Perhaps for the second voting round?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I would save that for after the background has been decided
TSC

Post by TSC »

Just wondering - would it be possible to include some kind of a standardized preview of the colors together with the background already in preferences?

Or if that is technically asking too much, perhaps at least by a preview/refresh button to open in a new browser window right from the preferences. Thereby one could easily see/validate for all colors in question, if they are a good match to a certain background or not?

Below is a photo shopped example for sketcher colors on what I mean:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-22 um 16.58.48.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-22 um 16.58.48.jpg (164.86 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TSC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:15 pm would it be possible to include some kind of a standardized preview of the colors together with the background already in preferences?
+1
(From my point of view this is the best proposal in the topic.)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

:o +1 +1 +1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
TSC

Post by TSC »

Is a background preference option to switch the color gradient from vertical to horizontal to solve/mitigate the readability issue for FEM centric users feasible? See image below for an example
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-23 um 22.16.16.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-23 um 22.16.16.jpg (90.34 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

TSC wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:15 pm Below is a photo shopped example for sketcher colors on what I mean:
This is really, really useful! What I can deduce from that image is: the darker the background (on the right side of the gradient), the better the contrast.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 pm I am surprised by the arguments, which seem to be exchangeable just as needed. In the first place it is too difficult to produce a complete color set and would take hours, but when we have a background color to do so is all of a sudden easy :? ?
At first sorry, I was not informed by the phpBB forum software for mentions and replies and now I have to fight through more than >50 new messages/mentions :roll: .

To my points:

- everybody should send in a proposal -> no need to create a set to keep the level low that many users can participate. This is important because we want to find a setup that fells "fresh" for as many users as possible

- one we have a color compibations setepping through the diffeent WBs is easy because this work has then only be done once (for the chosen color) and by experts like you are for e.g the Sketcher WB.
chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 pm 1) Find a nice background color as you proposed
2) after the first round of voting, define the corresponding color set
3) make the final votings on the complete color set.
Fine with me, if 2) is for maximal 3 background colors to save work.
If you agree with this, I think we can start the voting.

Would you volunteer to do this for the 3 most popular backgrounds?