Issue updating attributes

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drewdz

Issue updating attributes

Post by drewdz »

There seems to be a bug editing attributes (properties) in the Labels & Attributes window. Has anyone else encountered this? I updated from version 0.19 yesterday where this issue was not present.
Here are my steps to reproduce...

Steps to Reproduce
  • Using either the Part of Part Design Workbench
  • Create a new body
  • Select the body and update an attribute, eg: angle, axis x, y or z, position x, y, or z, etc
Expected Result
After selecting and updating an attribute, you should be able to select and update another attribute before forcing a recalculate.

Actual Result
While updating an attribute, sometimes the editor does not allow me to finish typing the new value, but updates with a partial value, especially when typing fast. More generally though, once an attribute has been updated, you have to select away from the current object, then reselect it to update another (or the same) attribute.

Other Actions
Have tried the following
  • Typing slowly seems to allow you to enter the entire value before the editor auto-accepts it.
  • Pressing F5 to recalculate - no difference
  • Switching to other work benches - no difference
  • Using the default / no workbench - no difference
  • Reselecting the same object without unselecting it, or selecting another - no difference
Version

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.4.3
  * fasteners 0.3.38
  * fcgear
  * parts_library
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Issue updating attributes

Post by GeneFC »

This is well-known behavior.

Whether it is a bug depends on your point of view.

Gene
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

When dealing with complex models the current behavior, updating the model as you enter a new value, can be problematic. IMO the model should not be updated until the user presses Enter.

Note that you can skip recomputes for a document:
  1. In the Tree view right-click the document node.
  2. Select the "Skip recomputes" option from the context menu.
  3. Until you disable this option you need to use Std Refresh to recompute the model.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

This topic has been discussed quite a bit in the past, and there are various viewpoints.

One way that generally works to prevent the immediate update is to hit "Enter" after the number is input. Then the recompute is delayed. If ones hits OK or changes focus the recompute is immediate.

I thought the old behavior of updating after every keystroke had been fixed. I have not seen anything like that for a long time.

Gene
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:16 pm I thought the old behavior of updating after every keystroke had been fixed. I have not seen anything like that for a long time.
When I edit the Length of a Part_Box the object changes after each keystroke.

Version: 0.21.30305 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 5ffc2e10b69971e2cdcd798c4deacf44d407fd77
Python 3.8.13, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
Installed mods: 
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:16 pm ...
I thought the old behavior of updating after every keystroke had been fixed. I have not seen anything like that for a long time.
Same on Linux with:

Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git) AppImage
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20.1)
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.5.7

Editing Part Box, and modifying values, say you have 10,00 and you want to write 11,00, you will delete the field the box is modified to 0 length, then you enter 1 and the box is modified to 1 length, and you hit another 1 and the box is modified to 11 length.

See also:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71780

For a related problem about "input fields"

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I see that behavior in Part, but not Part Design. (I rarely use Part, so I did not realize it still occurs.)

Gene
drewdz

Post by drewdz »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:16 pm One way that generally works to prevent the immediate update is to hit "Enter" after the number is input. Then the recompute is delayed. If ones hits OK or changes focus the recompute is immediate.
Gene
@Gene, I think there is a misunderstanding. The previous version of the app that I had installed worked as you describe above. The problem I have here only started (for me) when I installed 0.20.1 and is 2 fold...

1. Suppose I want to enter 3055 into some property. I select the property to update and start typing 3055, but it will update when I have only typed 30.
2. Once this update has occurred, the entire property sheet is locked and the only way to continue updating properties, is to unselect (click away) the model and then reselect it.

If I could find a download for the previous version of the app, I'll happily uninstall and reinstall the older version. This bug is extremely frustrating for me.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

drewdz wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:20 am Gene, I think there is a misunderstanding.
No misunderstanding.

I have no dog in this fight. Just reporting what I thought the history was.

By "app" I will guess that you are referring to FreeCAD. I don't recall ever seeing anyone use that term on the forum. I don't think FreeCAD will run on a phone. ;)

Gene
drewdz

Post by drewdz »

@GeneFC No fight here either :D
Anyway, I've reworked my muscle memory a bit and it appears I can work around most of the discomfort by selecting the property and then hitting "Enter" before editing, then "Enter" again. This allows me to continue working without reselecting and also doesn't update prematurely.

That being said, I still believe this is an issue (less intuitive/unexpected behavior) and worth someone taking a look at, if only from a usability POV.

App - Yeah, I guess I just use this word as a generic abbreviation for "Application", so yes, App = FreeCAD.