FreeCAD show the start picture and then instantly crashes on Windows 10

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Tino332a

FreeCAD show the start picture and then instantly crashes on Windows 10

Post by Tino332a »

Hello everyone,

On my PC FreeCAD 0.19 worked perfectly but the 0.20 does not want to.
As said in the title, it starts with the loading (libraries ...) picture and at a moment stops and disappears from the screen and the task manager.
I searched on all the forum, talking about OpenGL but it does not ended my problem. Also, my computer just run Blender very well.

My configuration :

Computer Lenovo X270
Windows 10 - 64bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7600U CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.90 GHz
16 Go RAM
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
freecad not starting.PNG
freecad not starting.PNG (420.34 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
Starting FreeCAD and then nothing's happening.
If you have any idea,

Best regards.
Bance
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD show the start picture and then instantly crashes on Windows 10

Post by Bance »

thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Tino332a wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 pm ....
Are you looking for a quick solution or do you want to solve the problem?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Are your graphics driver up to date? Did you enable software opengl? If not, open freecadcmd.exe and run these commands in it:

Code: Select all

FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/OpenGL").SetBool("UseSoftwareOpenGL", 1)
FreeCAD.saveParameter()
then close and try opening regular FreeCAD again. If it doesn't work, open a cmd prompt in your FreeCAD installation bin folder and run

Code: Select all

freecad -l
then upload here the log file that should be created at %APPDATA%\FreeCAD\FreeCAD.log
Tino332a

Post by Tino332a »

Hi guys,

Thank you for answering,

1-So Yes I tried on your link.
2- I want a quick solution that will make me use Freecad asap because I actually can't.

3- Yes my drivers are up to date as you can see here :
Driver state
Driver state
drivers.PNG (29.35 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Okay I did not know that it work like that thanks for the trick, so here is the log file :
FreeCAD.log
Log file
(10.02 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
I don't know how to understand it, but I'll search on internet, if you can tell me what to do to solve this thanks a lot.
See you.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Tino332a wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:21 pm if you can tell me what to do to solve this thanks a lot.
To me, this is something that jumped out Raphaël, have you tried a username without an accent in it?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

The issue may be with the special character ë in your username Raphaël you can either create a new user with only normal characters or maybe try a dev version of FreeCAD (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds) as I believe this issue has already been fixed.
@chennes @wmayer I can't recall if this issue actually crashed FreeCAD or did it just raise an error?^Also, was the fix backported?
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:36 pm The issue may be with the special character ë in your username Raphaël you can either create a new user with only normal characters or maybe try a dev version of FreeCAD (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds) as I believe this issue has already been fixed.
@chennes @wmayer I can't recall if this issue actually crashed FreeCAD or did it just raise an error?^Also, was the fix backported?
I believe this is the issue, for me it crashed when opening FreeCAD with addons installed, and Tino332a have A2+ installed.

@Tino332a Try the latest weekly build adrian posted the link to, that should fix your issue.
Tino332a

Post by Tino332a »

Hey, I searched into the ASCII characters and the ë was in so I believed it wasn't the problem but I'm going to try to change it.
Yes about the letter in the name, that fix/bug was already backported.
So I'll try the weekly version and then to change the letter, I'll come back here for news, thanks all of you !!!
Tino332a

Post by Tino332a »

Finally here is my conclusion :

You where right about the letter "ë" it is the one which avoid FreeCAD to open because it is a special ASCII character not just an ASCII.
However after I changed my User name (with this solution : Windows + R -> netplwiz -> select my user account and then change the user name (not the "complete" one it is just the name which is shown when you power ON the computer)) the path kept its name : C:/User/Raphaël and did not take the name Raphael without the " ¨ ". So I searched how to fix this and the solution was 1) create a new account (with the W + R -> netplwiz) 2) copy the ancient one and paste it into the new (I mean all my Videos, Photos, Downloads, Documents, Appdata, Desktop config ...) 3) then erase the Raphaël account (old one) of course this take some time (~an hour for me depending on the PC performance).

Well, I think this is all, because now FreeCAD is alive on my PC ! Thanks to you all guys,
I detailed the way above because maybe this topic can interest other people who can have that problem.

Thanks again and best regards.