New user - can't install macro via Addon Manager.

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GMckeown

New user - can't install macro via Addon Manager.

Post by GMckeown »

Hi:
This is my first attempt at FreeCAD. I'm trying to install a macro (the screw thread macro) via addon manager. However, I am not able to see any macros in the manager, and get the following error:

GitPython not installed! Cannot retrieve macros from git
08:33:51 Appears to be an issue connecting to the Wiki, therefore cannot retrieve Wiki macro list at this time

What am I doing wrong?
FreeCAD 0.19 on Windows 10. Fresh install.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Syres
Veteran

Re: New user - can't install macro via Addon Manager.

Post by Syres »

Microsoft never included Git with any version of Windows therefore you need to download, install it and possibly reboot, can't just remember because it was years ago that I installed it.

Edit: Installer for Win https://git-scm.com/download/win
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Best way is indeed to install GitPython. But you can also install macros manually, see How to install macros. Expand the appropriate section.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:24 pm Best way is indeed to install GitPython. But you can also install macros manually, see How to install macros. Expand the appropriate section.
Syres wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:46 pm Microsoft never included Git with any version of Windows therefore you need to download, install it and possibly reboot, can't just remember because it was years ago that I installed it.
GitPython is included in the Windows bundles. GitPython uses git.exe, follow Syres's instructions to install this.

There should be a fall back to download a .zip Does this fail because GitPython is found, but the needed git.exe is not available?
"fight the good fight"
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

kkremitzki wrote: ping
Is the following error related to the Certificate Verification error in this post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 76#p540976 ?

Code: Select all

08:33:51 Appears to be an issue connecting to the Wiki, therefore cannot retrieve Wiki macro list at this time
In both instances they are pointing at a Wiki url but when I crudely look at the certificate through my browser it shows everything appears to be fine until 23rd December 2021.
GMckeown

Post by GMckeown »

As far as I can tell, it isn't the same error. But what would I know?
Addon Manager does see workbenches, but not macros.

FreeCAD seems to know what I'm trying to do, and it soundly defeats me at every turn...

I'm confused. I've installed python 3.10 on my computer, and, with a few wrong turns, was able to install GitPython there.
But FreeCAD doesn't recognize this.
I think that it's due to FreeCAD using Python 3.8, and everything is in different locations.

Could it be a simple matter of adding a few lines to the windows path?

Another confusion factor:
If I go into FreeCAD's Python console, import site, and run site.getusersitepackages()
I get back 'C:\\Users\\gamck\\AppData\\Roaming\\Python\\Python38\\site-packages' - which doesn't exist!
Am I barking up the wrong tree?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IIRC windows package comes with gitpython included but it doesn't include git (which evidently a dependey of gitpython), what you need is to install git and have it available in your PATH.
If you truly don't have gitpython in the FreeCAD package installing it for your system wide python won't work, you have to install it for FreeCAD's python, I can't remember now how one has to do that.
GMckeown

Post by GMckeown »

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your help. I would NOT have solved it without your help!
There are too many things for a new user to learn.

I now have access to macros via Addon Manager.

I installed git per Syres' instructions.
Created a path to GIT,
Created a path to FreeCAD 0.19\bin\lib\site-packages\git.
Patrick_B

Post by Patrick_B »

@GMckeown
PC with Win10 here.
I have the same issue you had.
GIT is installed, FreeCad 0.19 is a fresh install, Python 3.9.4 installed, GitPython installed. I added a path for GIT and FreeCAD as you indicated. Still getting the same error message and a partial list of Macros.

Would you please share the detailed way you used to have this working?

Thanks in advance!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Patrick_B wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:54 pm I added a path for GIT and FreeCAD as you indicated
Can you very more specific on what you did? You need to add the path to the git executable to your PATH environment variable, not sure if a restart is required for it to take effect.