FreeCAD Conda Distribution

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Conda Distribution

Post by easyw-fc »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:45 pmping
@sgrogan
I'm having an issue with the Addons manager in Conda build

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\FreeCAD-conda-PY3.8\Mod\AddonManager\addonmanager_workers.py", line 159, in run
    git_version = StrictVersion(result.group(1))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20943 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ceb23799c76df3ebfa7be4b9fe83bb62de60bc6c
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

easyw-fc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am I'm having an issue with the Addons manager in Conda build
There is a pending PR to fix it.
"fight the good fight"
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

sgrogan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 am There is a pending PR to fix it.
Thanx!
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

Hi, all.

I think the work loooo did with FreeCAD and Conda is important and would also hate to see it go unmaintained.

I'm potentially interested in helping with that effort.

I recently created a Conda page on the Wiki mainly cataloging links, but hoping to find some time to go over the relevant links and summarize key findings.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

gbroques wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:07 pm Hi, all.

I think the work loooo did with FreeCAD and Conda is important and would also hate to see it go unmaintained.

I'm potentially interested in helping with that effort.

I recently created a Conda page on the Wiki mainly cataloging links, but hoping to find some time to go over the relevant links and summarize key findings.
This would potentially be a boon for both FreeCAD and OSE.
:+1:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Just som conda beginner question ... How do I install the weekly conda builds with conda?
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

bernd wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:42 am Just som conda beginner question ... How do I install the weekly conda builds with conda?
First, if you haven't done so already, add the conda-forge channel:

conda config --add channels conda-forge
Conda Forge is the repository where the freecad conda package is hosted, and ensures conda searches there when installing packages.

Next, ceate a conda environment named "fcenv" (short for FreeCAD environment) using the freecad conda package hosted on the conda-forge channel:

conda create --name fcenv freecad
Activate the environment:

conda activate fcenv
If you want to update it in a week from now (activate the "fcenv" environment first):

(fcenv) $ conda update freecad          
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

gbroques wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:09 pm Conda Forge is the repository where the freecad conda package is hosted, and ensures conda searches there when installing packages.
First thanks for creating the wiki page!

Actually the weekly build is hosted on the freecad/label/dev channel https://anaconda.org/freecad/repo?label=dev

conda create --name fcenv-dev -c freecad/label/dev freecad
Conda-Forge hosts the "stable" FreeCAD release. Usually this will be latest official release. However in preparation for 0.19 release looo has updated this to FreeCAD v0.19.alpha2 https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/freecad
gbroques wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:07 pm I'm potentially interested in helping with that effort.
Any help here is greatly appreciated.
"fight the good fight"
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:42 pm Actually the weekly build is hosted on the freecad/label/dev channel https://anaconda.org/freecad/repo?label=dev

Conda-Forge hosts the "stable" FreeCAD release. Usually this will be latest official release. However in preparation for 0.19 release looo has updated this to FreeCAD v0.19.alpha2 https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/freecad
Thank you for the correction on the channel name!
sgrogan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:42 pm Any help here is greatly appreciated.
Sure! Just let me know how I can best contribute.

I can find more time to contribute to the Conda page as well if you'd like. Maybe you have suggestions for that?

I suppose kisolre and vocx discussed this earlier in the thread:
kisolre wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am I did not see any mention of Conda under Compiling and almost nothing of relevance in all the docs. How is someone expected to help if there is no centralized place to start? And IMO this is not the forum. ... There is no mention of Conda in other OS packaging pages. How should somebody even start to help?
vocx wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:24 pm
kisolre wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:50 am ...How should somebody even start to help?
This was an issue for me too. I also wanted to know. I even asked looo, but I felt I never got the full story about it.

I also disliked the terminology when talking about "recipes", "forge", "feedstocks". It all sounds like magic.
I can relate to being overwhelmed by all the conda terminology and concepts when it's new.

Actionable Items from Their Posts
  • Have a section in the Conda page introducing the different conda terms and how it relates to FreeCAD.
  • Link to the Conda page from other relevant pages (i.e. Packaging, maybe Compiling, and possibly others)
Sounds the most pressing need is better documentation? No surprise there. :lol:
gbroques

Post by gbroques »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:42 pm Actually the weekly build is hosted on the freecad/label/dev channel https://anaconda.org/freecad/repo?label=dev

Sorry for the double-post.

So the weekly-builds are hosted by an Anaconda "freecad" user and maintained by this repo?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_Conda

While the conda-forge freecad package, where the releases are served, are maintained by this repo?
https://github.com/conda-forge/freecad-feedstock