Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

Post by Kunda1 »

MuseScore is a free scorewriter for Windows, macOS, and Linux, comparable to Finale and Sibelius, supporting a wide variety of file formats and input methods.
Features
  • WYSIWYG design, notes are entered on a "virtual notepaper"
  • TrueType font(s) for printing & display allows for high quality scaling to all sizes
  • Easy & fast note entry
  • Many editing functions
  • MusicXML import/export
  • MIDI (SMF) import/export
  • MuseData import
  • MIDI input for note entry
  • Integrated sequencer and software synthesizer to play the score
  • Print or create pdf files
Infrastructure:
Qt5
QML

Version: MuseScore version (64-bit): 2.3.2, revision: github-musescore-musescore-3543170
This is their 'Start Center' I think it's coded in Javascript
This is their 'Start Center' I think it's coded in Javascript
Musescore-Start-Center.gif (308.44 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
Notice the gradient metallic background
Notice the gradient metallic background
Musescore-dropdown-ui.gif (163.62 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
sleek design, gradient-like metallic color
sleek design, gradient-like metallic color
Musescore-Sidebar.gif (600.97 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
Plugin Manager is very clean, tight and sharp
Plugin Manager is very clean, tight and sharp
Musescore-Plugin-Manager.gif (234.09 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Re: Case Study: Musescore (FLOSS cross-platform sheetmusic/scorewriter) UI/UX

Post by triplus »

OK therefore i see it has Start dialog, File manager, rearrangeable Dock Widgets and a Package manager. Layout is rather familiar (if you are a FreeCAD user).

Where do you feel we are lagging behind compared to MuseScore?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

It's a case study not a critique. Maybe we can garner inspiration from this project, IMO one of the few that really show how it's possible to soup up a Qt interface.

I'm simply pointing out the sleek and IMO classy gradient that the UI has.
Their Start Center is actually a dialog window and incorporates some interesting methodology to display information.
Their sidebars feels a little bit more reactive and 'crisp' (for the lack of better term).
The plugin manager is clean and (it has a quirk when toggling between different plugins but beside that) it contrasts very well with the background so information is clear.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very elegant and clean interface indeed... There is one thing that is important to note there, though, is that the musescore workflow seems way simpler than FreeCAD. They have a fraction of the tools we have

Good ideas I see there are

1) have a small "promotional" panel on their start page (but, what would we put in it if we had one...)
2) the "preview/description" pane on the addon manager, this one is really good, small and useful
3) a nice palettes menu. Need to look better at how that works..
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

My nine-year-old has been obsessed with MuseScore for the last two weeks... I've paid no attention to it... :lol:

That said, after briefly reviewing the layout depicted here and the comparative layout in FreeCAD, I don't think we're that far from achieving something as elegant as MuseScore.

@yorik points out that we likely support more complex workflows in our UI than does MuseScore. I'll grant that. But we divide that complexity across workbenches, and interacting with specific tools is typically handled in the same way: using the Model / Tasks dialogs in the side panel. The only increased complexity that I see in the FC UI, really, is the additional windows at bottom (typically the report view and the python console for most of us...)

Really, IMO, @ickby's prototype UI is where it's at if we want to get serious about addressing UI functionality. ;)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm There is one thing that is important to note there, though, is that the musescore workflow seems way simpler than FreeCAD. They have a fraction of the tools we have
Of course!
Joel_graff wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm @yorik points out that we likely support more complex workflows in our UI than does MuseScore. I'll grant that. But we divide that complexity across workbenches, and interacting with specific tools is typically handled in the same way: using the Model / Tasks dialogs in the side panel. The only increased complexity that I see in the FC UI, really, is the additional windows at bottom (typically the report view and the python console for most of us...)
Agreed
Joel_graff wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm Really, IMO, @ickby's prototype UI is where it's at if we want to get serious about addressing UI functionality.
We can still make some tweaks till our UI/UX prophet arrives. Also there may be folks that prefer the old-school layout once the ickby layout is created.
regis

Post by regis »

Wow that muse score is pretty sleek and classy, what ever is good about it that we can take and add on to freecad i'm down for it.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Musescore 3 UI/UX is even better. There is a very cool wizard in the beginning with a step by step tour! We should really consider this. There is also a basic and advanced setup option, which reminds me of this thread: Engineer UX Mode.
ceremcem wrote:
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Apparently this video says that Musescore sucks: Music Software & Interface Design: MuseScore

phpBB [video]
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

vocx wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:02 pm Apparently this video says that Musescore sucks: Music Software & Interface Design: MuseScore
To be fair, he says he likes Musescore but there are some definite improvements to the UI/UX that would make sense.
He makes some very astute UI/UX points and in a comical way. Must of taken a ton of time and energy to create and edit that video.

FreeCAD could use a lot more of these types of videos. Reminds me of @sliptonic who made a '5 Ways FreeCAD will annoy (the xxxx out of) you' that got a bunch of views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KIa3_dJu8

So the youtuber does raise some really solid points that we can riff off of (even if it's for musescore), for example:
the out-of-box experience (for new users), AKA How does an application orient new users to it's UI when they open it for the first time? This is not something FreeCAD has yet, but has been discussed before.

Note: here is the exact place he discusses it in the video: https://youtu.be/4hZxo96x48A?t=1394

So in musescore they employ invasive popups that can be annoying. Tthe youtuber's suggestion is non-blocking popups. And he gives examples of how those would look. Essentially they will dismiss themselves in other wordss they don't require you to click them off to continue working, hence non-invasive.

(This is worth spinning off in to a whole other thread, actually)