Announcing Ondsel - An open-core company building around FreeCAD

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Announcing Ondsel - An open-core company building around FreeCAD

Post by sliptonic »

A lot of people in the community already know this is happening but the official launch announcement went out today so I thought I'd share it here and answer any questions.

What is it?
Ondsel is a for-profit public-benefit company established in the 'open-core' model. Good examples of open-core companies include Gitlab and Wordpress.

Why does it matter?
As FreeCAD has grown, it's gotten harder to resolve the big hairy problems with just volunteer developers and contributors. Ondsel's central mission is to improve FreeCAD, and advance its adoption by individual and commercial users. We'll be able to hire developers to work on FreeCAD. This isn't contract work. It's full-time employment.

Who's behind Ondsel?
Open Core Ventures is the venture firm backing the company through its startup phase.
I (sliptonic) am the founder / first-hire / janitor / etc / etc.
We'll be adding team members as soon as we can find them an bring them on board.

Where is Ondsel located?
Fully remote. We should be able to hire developers from almost anywhere in the world.

What you can do to help
Follow on Twitter
Follow on linkedin
(Yeah, I know. Everybody says that. But it really matters. Anything that increases the visibility of the company makes it easier to find and attract developers so please mash that like / retweet button)
Send developers to the careers page

Ask questions. Seriously. We've got a long way to go to figure out how to be both a sustainable company and a good member of the FreeCAD community. We'll need help to do that right.

Logo_LightBG-small.png
Logo_LightBG-small.png (15.25 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
chennes
Veteran

Re: Announcing Ondsel - An open-core company building around FreeCAD

Post by chennes »

Congratulations, @sliptonic -- that's very cool, I'll be interested to see how the work your company's engineers do gets integrated into the development process here. Full time employees can generate a LOT of code, very quickly. Exciting, but also terrifying :D .
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Congratulations!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Congrats!

sliptonic wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:49 pm Ask questions. Seriously.
OK, to be honest, maybe there is something lost in translation, but i do not really get the concept.

Here you wrote:
sliptonic wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:49 pm As FreeCAD has grown, it's gotten harder to resolve the big hairy problems with just volunteer developers and contributors. Ondsel's central mission is to improve FreeCAD, and advance its adoption by individual and commercial users. We'll be able to hire developers to work on FreeCAD. This isn't contract work. It's full-time employment.
And here https://opencoreventures.com/blog/2023- ... ad-launch/ and other places you said

“Our initial customer set is the small firms with an end-user customizable product. They want to use their 3D designs on their website so their customers can interact, customize, and explore the product”

, or similar, what i meant, it is this is about models and CAM, not FreeCAD development per se.

So is it about FreeCAD devolpment, or a kind of (better for) 3D and Modeling repo/data(base)tool based on FreeCAD? No problem with both, but i just do not get it.

Greetings and good luck!
user1234

edit: spacing
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I'm going to add onto user1234's questions.

Is the company product a means of leveraging FreeCAD as a backend engine to drive web-based model (aka product) customization through manipulation of exposed parameters via a web interface?

In what ways, direct or indirect will this shape FreeCAD development? Will there be specific development focus on certain aspects of FreeCAD, or is the vision more general, and the services are a means to fund development?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

very cool project, what are the requirements for hiring?
It might be interesting some day to also work on improving occt where required, do you foresee doing something like this in the future?

btw, the github link in the webpage is broken https://github.com/ondsel
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

The last few months have been a real eye-opener for me.
I've been around the FreeCAD world for quite a while and I started seeing things change about a year and a half ago. Besides the huge influx of refugees from the Fusion debacle, I kept seeing more interest in the project from commercial users and more demand for a project roadmap.

As the project has gotten bigger, it's gotten harder and harder to tackle big changes. Just in the Path workbench I've been overwhelmed. I wanted to spend more time working on it but I also have to pay bills. So I (and others) started looking at ways to make a living while working on FOSS. We've tried Patreon, YouTube, writing books, consulting, etc. The FPA can take in money and hire contractors but, so far, nothing has been sustainable. If you want to have a paycheck, benefits, and work on open-source, it's just really difficult.

When OCV approached, they had a different mindset. It's obvious that there is commercial interest in an open-source CAD solution. It's also clear that FreeCAD isn't ready. So their approach is to fund a company to start working on FreeCAD full-time. Hire developers. Improve the UI. Help with the big challenges.

Of course, we'll have to have a product. The business will have to be sustainable eventually. We're just not rushing to say what that is because, to be honest, we don't know yet. It will probably have a lot to do with collaboration and cloud execution and I'm counting on smart engineers to help figure that out.

There were two things that got me interested in working on this; The first is the strong commitment they have to open-source, including forming the company as a PBC. The second is that they aren't telling us what the answer is. They're letting us figure it out.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:56 pm very cool project, what are the requirements for hiring?
The first job descriptions are up. More will be coming.
It might be interesting some day to also work on improving occt where required, do you foresee doing something like this in the future?
If working on FreeCAD and building a product means working on occt, why not?
btw, the github link in the webpage is broken https://github.com/ondsel
Thanks for the catch. I'll fix that. I've set up github enterprise (they have a special deal for startups).
The link is https://github.com/enterprises/ondsel Not much there yet.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

That link doesn't seem to work either (perhaps it looks different for you when you're logged in) but I found this working link via search: https://github.com/Ondsel-Development
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:23 am That link doesn't seem to work either (perhaps it looks different for you when you're logged in) but I found this working link via search: https://github.com/Ondsel-Development
You're right. The other is the enterprise view which I guess isn't public. Ondsel-Development is a public organization within the enterprise. This is my first exposure to github enterprise. There's a LOT of stuff here. Website link has been fixed now. Thanks.