[New Workbench] MetalWB, for welding part design

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Quentin_Plsn

[New Workbench] MetalWB, for welding part design

Post by Quentin_Plsn »

Hello to all of you,

We have developed a new external workbench for the design of mechanical welding parts with @Vincent B and @rockn. I had already made an announcement in the French forum but I wanted to wait to show it here.

I present you 'MetalWB', available at the experimental stage here on Framagit. The goal would be to cover the whole workflow for the design of welded parts, up to the drawing.
A.png
A.png (246.3 KiB) Viewed 8703 times
---

The MetalWB workbench includes drawing tools to facilitate the creation of 3D contours as a basis for welded structures. 3D contours can be made by manipulating 2D sketches in Sketcher: tilting, copy and paste, manual moving...
B.png
B.png (89.98 KiB) Viewed 8703 times
Curves workbench functions allow you to add parametric lines. Previously created sketch lines can be used as a basis for applying the divide or line between two points functions.
C.png
C.png (107.1 KiB) Viewed 8703 times
A function to create a parametric cube has been added to quickly reproduce structures with this shape.

---

Frames are created with the 'WarehouseProfiles' function, specific to the MetalWB workbench. It appears as a dialog box, where the user can define the profile completely. Pressing the 'OK' button will create a set of bodies, where each body represents a flow.
D.png
D.png (137.9 KiB) Viewed 8703 times
Each of created bodies via WarehouseProfiles is customisable. Parameters can be accessed from the properties to get a more refined result.
E.png
E.png (178.16 KiB) Viewed 8703 times
Other mecano-welding functions are available at the experimental stage: a trim and extend function and corner management functions. I'll tell you the rest in a second post because I've reached the maximum size of attachments.
Quentin_Plsn

Re: [New Workbench] MetalWB, for welding part design

Post by Quentin_Plsn »

Trim and extend function and corner management functions :
F.png
F.png (155.92 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
The welded part can be assembled with other elements via the different assembly workbenches: A2plus, Asm3 or Assembly4. Below, the Atelier Paysan carriage (called 'Porte-tout') was modelled using Assembly4, which allows the mechanism to be animated, here according to the angle of the wheels and the axle.
G.png
G.png (340.99 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
It is also possible to model missing elements directly via Part Design: below the tray and the wheels of the hand trolley are created from the tubes. This method can be used in combination with the previous one. It is particularly effective if the elements to be added have not been modelled afterwards and you wish to adjust the dimensions directly to the welded part.
H.png
H.png (245.23 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
---

It is possible to install the workbench via the Addon manager by adding the Framagit repository to the preferences. Otherwise it can be installed manually by copying it directly into the 'Mod' folder.
I.png
I.png (139.28 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
toni_lv

Post by toni_lv »

Great workbench, looks great, I think this will be very useful when working with big machine designs.
Congratulations for your amazing work.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Looks great keep up the good work !
maxwxyz

Post by maxwxyz »

That is very cool! Keep up the great work.
MAMINE

Post by MAMINE »

Useful workbench.
Is there a way to change profile once inserted ?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Look great ! Some features looks like the Dodo (previous Flamingo) Workbench Add-on? :)

viewtopic.php?style=3&t=22711&start=100
https://wiki.freecad.org/Dodo_Workbench
https://github.com/oddtopus/dodo

phpBB [video]
Castu

Post by Castu »

Can someone help me, since I am new to Freecad, how can I install this workbench or any other ?
Thank you very much !
Best Regards,
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Very interesting, thank you!