B-Spline Constraints: Fully Funded! Thanks everybody!

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Re: B-Spline Constraints: Almost Done! Help Reach Goal!

Post by jnxd »

abdullah wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:48 pm Momentarily, I have changed branch to test the knot only version:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7484

This still has the issues with the signed/unsigned we discussed via PM for version 2.
Just force-pushed replacing them. There are some other places we can change to unsigned or size_t but they are outside of the changes in the PR.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
jnxd

Re: B-Spline Constraints: Almost Done! Help Reach Goal!

Post by jnxd »

@abdullah, I just added another commit to #7484 which makes the knot constraint internal alignment in the solver. This doesn't solve any tangent issue, but of course this one was necessary.
Jon557

Re: B-Spline Constraints: Fully Funded! Thanks everybody!

Post by Jon557 »

@jnxd You wouldn't happen to be working on a fix for a mesh issue by any chance would you?

Ref my last post right at the bottom of this thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 44&t=69151

Thanks,
Jon
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Jon557 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:37 pm @jnxd You wouldn't happen to be working on a fix for a mesh issue by any chance would you?

Ref my last post right at the bottom of this thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 44&t=69151

Thanks,
Jon
I'm not, but I'll take a look.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Just wanted to note that I have finished reviewing the knot part. There are some comments that need addressing, but my expectation is that it will be merged soon.

Then, knowing that tangencies are generally more problematic at solver level (not only B-Spline, but many others), I wonder if it makes sense to you to prepare a PR for Point on Object. This is generally easier on the solver, it is very useful for users, and I think will have a much better change for a quick review and merge. What do you think?
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

abdullah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:27 am Just wanted to note that I have finished reviewing the knot part. There are some comments that need addressing, but my expectation is that it will be merged soon.
Indeed I've seen this. Let's discuss further in the PR itself.
abdullah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:27 am Then, knowing that tangencies are generally more problematic at solver level (not only B-Spline, but many others), I wonder if it makes sense to you to prepare a PR for Point on Object. This is generally easier on the solver, it is very useful for users, and I think will have a much better change for a quick review and merge. What do you think?
I was thinking the exact same thing: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7782. However as noted there, removing commits from tangent-at-knot is not trivial so I need to work on that. You can start testing, however, provided you don't use tangents.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

jnxd wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:35 pm I was thinking the exact same thing: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7782. However as noted there, removing commits from tangent-at-knot is not trivial so I need to work on that. You can start testing, however, provided you don't use tangents.
I have been able to do some tests (not comprehensive yet). It looks good.

I only had an issue with the Block constraint, which I am not sure yet if it is a problem of the PoO or of other parts of the Sketcher. I need to investigate further.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

abdullah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:06 pm I have been able to do some tests (not comprehensive yet). It looks good.

I only had an issue with the Block constraint, which I am not sure yet if it is a problem of the PoO or of other parts of the Sketcher. I need to investigate further.
OK. Not sure what you're referring to. Maybe it's best if we finish off the knot constraints before moving to PoO.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

jnxd wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:13 pm
abdullah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:06 pm I have been able to do some tests (not comprehensive yet). It looks good.

OK. Not sure what you're referring to. Maybe it's best if we finish off the knot constraints before moving to PoO.
Did you change the PoO branch in the meantime? Now I cannot reproduce the problem anymore, and I would like to know if gobbles are messing with my PC or your magic wand is at hand here... ;)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Ajinkya, now that knots are merged, would you prepare a PoO rebased on master for review, so that we move forward?