B-Spline Constraints: Fully Funded! Thanks everybody!

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
johnwang
Veteran

Re: B-Spline Constraints: Looking for Crowdfunding

Post by johnwang »

user1234 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:24 pm I would also donate, but over the FPA,
Your donate may not relevant to this project, since how FPA operate is not open.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

johnwang wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:19 pm
Your donate may not relevant to this project, since how FPA operate is not open.
I will discuss this in the FPA. If a donation is made for a certain project, then the money should of course go completely to that very project.
It may be legally tricky, but a confirmation from the chairman (currently Yorik) should be sufficient.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:44 am
johnwang wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:19 pm
I will discuss this in the FPA. If a donation is made for a certain project, then the money should of course go completely to that very project.
This is also how i understand it, see https://github.com/FreeCAD/FPA#sponsoring-suggestions, @jnxd made a detailed proposal, which fits the sponsoring suggestions perfect. (Also i do not know what are you meaning with how FPA operate is not open, it is all written in the FPA, but there are many things just not defined out, since you can not structure to the end an organization from one day to an other, that is unrealistic, i know many people expect that).

Greetings
user1234
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

user1234 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:47 am it is all written in the FPA,
Then open an issue there:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FPA/issues
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

johnwang wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:30 am Then open an issue there:
This is a decision, which i can not make for him. If he wants it, he should open it. I only gave a cue, that this case seems a good usecase for a FPA supported development.

Greetings
user1234
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

user1234 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:57 pm
johnwang wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:30 am Then open an issue there:
This is a decision, which i can not make for him. If he wants it, he should open it. I only gave a cue, that this case seems a good usecase for a FPA supported development.
It appears to be that the FPA is currently still building money for infrastructure and a rainy day fund for legal defences. So funding developers is not a priority. Which is understandable: we need it to handle patent trolls and copyright infringements.

Then there's a question of if at all there are any benefits. Even if I go with @chrisb's suggestion (of asking donors to specifically mention this project as the purpose), there's still a question of double fees: donor to FPA and FPA to me (even Github sponsors says payments from "organizations" have a 10% fee). Further, there is still doubt where, if at all, the donations are tax deductible.

So all this needs to be discussed before opening that avenue. However, if this discussion itself needs an issue to be created, I'll go ahead and do that. So far I had been PMing FPA admins that I was otherwise in contact with. Is there maybe a template for this? I'm afraid this appears to be the first funds request outside of the maintenance bounties.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

@jnxd: thanks for the detailed clarification!

Greetings
user1234
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

jnxd wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:36 pm there's still a question of double fees: donor to FPA and FPA to me
Fpa can't donate to you. It can pay you.then you pay income tax.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

johnwang wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:42 am
jnxd wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:36 pm there's still a question of double fees: donor to FPA and FPA to me
Fpa can't donate to you. It can pay you.then you pay income tax.
Of course. Taxes are a different thing entirely though. Here, I was referring to the fees by paypal or stripe (or any other processor).
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

FUNDING UPDATE: 30 AUGUST 2022

OK I suppose a funding update every Tuesday and a coding update every Saturday sounds like a good plan.

Since the release, I have received:

Github:
One time: $135
Monthly: $7

Liberapay: $39 + €140 = ~$179

Additional:
Pledged: $200 (upon implementation progress towards stage 2) + €250

All in all, this amounts to up to ~$785/$3000 towards this project, assuming it takes 3 months to complete.

We're just about to reach $1000!