Sketcher Offset

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Sketcher Offset

Post by paddle »

Hey guys,
phpBB [video]

Thanks guys for the help.
Cheers
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Offset

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:36 am
It looks awesome :D Especially considering how hard it was to implement it.

So you are developing all these new tools (based on the tool settings widget) in your branch with the help of abdullah and later on you will submit PRs for these features to be added to master once they will be fully finished, right ?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:52 am It looks awesome :D Especially considering how hard it was to implement it.

So you are developing all these new tools (based on the tool settings widget) in your branch with the help of abdullah and later on you will submit PRs for these features to be added to master once they will be fully finished, right ?
In the end it wasn't even so hard as I basically scrapped all the hard stuff done. The only things that I had to keep is the algorithm to create separate continuous curves. And I have a feeling that even that might get scrapped.

So regarding merging the thing is that all the feature I made rely on Tool Setting, so they are all on my main branch.
So the current plan is to first merge Tool Settings, then move forward with the other stuff. Currently Abdullah is refactoring my initial tool settings code which was not ideal.
Once tool settings is implemented we'll probably move to chamfer and simple tools like arc slot, insert on line and so on. Then I'm not sure either constrain contextually or rotate/scale/offset.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:22 am In the end it wasn't even so hard as I basically scrapped all the hard stuff done. The only things that I had to keep is the algorithm to create separate continuous curves. And I have a feeling that even that might get scrapped.

So regarding merging the thing is that all the feature I made rely on Tool Setting, so they are all on my main branch.
So the current plan is to first merge Tool Settings, then move forward with the other stuff. Currently Abdullah is refactoring my initial tool settings code which was not ideal.
Once tool settings is implemented we'll probably move to chamfer and simple tools like arc slot, insert on line and so on. Then I'm not sure either constrain contextually or rotate/scale/offset.
Thank you very much for your effort and for the reply. Will polar pattern come together with the rotate tool ?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:29 am Thank you very much for your effort and for the reply. Will polar pattern come together with the rotate tool ?
Yes, look at around 5min15 in the offset video above I show the circular pattern/rotate.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:05 am Yes, look at around 5min15 in the offset video above I show the circular pattern/rotate.
All right, so rotation and polar pattern are within the same tool. Makes sense when it comes to the functionality but maybe they could be separated for clarity (there is a rectangular pattern in the Sketcher already and that's where users will look for polar pattern too). However, that's just a minor suggestion, the key here is that these tools are available and work perfectly, as shown in the video :)
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 am there is a rectangular pattern in the Sketcher already and that's where users will look for polar pattern too.
They are different, as a rectangular pattern is not related to circles, probably having a separate tool, clearly marked as "polar pattern" is better.

From a user point of view, rotation will suggest "rotate an object" so "make multiple copies of an object and create a single object" a rough approximation of a "polar pattern" in words, is something different.

as a programmer I could see the relation between "polar pattern and rotation", it is simple as:

1) copy an object many times
2) rotate them with different angles (hopefully evenly spaced) around a "center".
3) group them in a compound (or similar container)

but similarity with rotate is only on the point 2 of the list, maybe too few for a such "simple operation" like define a placement with center, as Placement property has already a way to specify a "center of rotation".

To not crowd too much the interface, maybe a "pattern" button that open a menu will be more taylored, as you could put here even some "interleaved patterns" or some other strange things, like some "pattern around a curve" or similar things like some operations found in other CAD that permits to evenly space a thing around a "Polyline" (in FC we could use maybe a BSPline as it is easy to discretize it and obtain how many centers you will need to place a "hole" iaround a curve)

Sorry if this is a bothering, and Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
shamanths13

Post by shamanths13 »

paddle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:36 am ping
Awesome work dude! :D Can't wait to start using all the new features you are implementing! If Im understanding correctly, the scale, offset and circular pattern all create geometry which is unconstrained, irrespective of the constraints on the original selection right? Or are you selectively chosing which constraints to ignore or utilize? Is this the case? I am just curious!
Thanks!
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

onekk wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am
NewJoker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 am there is a rectangular pattern in the Sketcher already and that's where users will look for polar pattern too.
They are different, as a rectangular pattern is not related to circles, probably having a separate tool, clearly marked as "polar pattern" is better.
Actually, I should have expanded that thought. I didn't mean that the users will look for a polar pattern as an option or variant of rectangular pattern. What I meant is that they will look for it next to the rectangular pattern (since patterns are usually grouped together within the same container). Currently, it looks like this:

pattern.png
pattern.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 8394 times

Polar pattern could be placed before or after it. But a separate group ("Sketcher patterns") would also be a good idea.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

I don't know very much Sketcher organisation, my fault, as I'm mostly scripting my builds.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/