Part Design Fillet / Chamfer now have all all edges option

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Part Design Fillet / Chamfer now have all all edges option

Post by TheMarkster »

This is new for 0.20. While in Add Mode (after pressing the Add button in the dialog) in the right-click context menu now is the option to add all edges. So, if you wish to fillet or chamfer all the edges of an object this is a convenient way to get all the edges selected and added to the dialog. Shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+A.
Snip macro screenshot-e6ea0d.png
Snip macro screenshot-e6ea0d.png (61.33 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Snip macro screenshot-56196e.png
Snip macro screenshot-56196e.png (65.87 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Snip macro screenshot-d11ba9.png
Snip macro screenshot-d11ba9.png (70.87 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
You must be in the Add mode or else the menu option is disabled. Removing all edges (1 must always remain) is already easy, just select all in the list and press Delete key or Remove from the context menu.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Part Design Fillet / Chamfer now have all all edges option

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:18 am Removing all edges (1 must always remain)
Is there a possibility to drop this restriction? This would really be an improvement: We all know that fillets tend to break due to topological naming issues and there is not much that can be done. So it happens frequently that the fillets have to be redone completely. The workflow now is:
- remove all but one edge
- add at least one edge
- remove the remainder from step 1
- continue adding edges.

All edges could be added in step 2, but often a quick intermediate check whether the fillets work is desirable.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Part Design Fillet / Chamfer now have all all edges option

Post by TheMarkster »

I think currently if the restriction were removed there would be a crash. I noticed while coding this new feature if all the edges were removed it would cause a seg fault. I don't know exactly where it happens. The code is expecting there to always be at least one edge since this is enforced, so probably there is some null pointer or null shape involved.

The way I redo fillets is to delete the fillet in the tree, select the new edges, click the fillet toolbar icon, set the radius, click OK. I do see the advantages to editing the fillet instead: it retains its position in the tree, and the radius can remain the same. I usually do the fillets last, so tree position isn't important to me, but obviously if you do them earlier in the process there would be the additional step of moving the fillet.