FreeCAD 0.19.3 released

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.19.3 released

Post by uwestoehr »

onekk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:45 pm Your affirmation, is not exact.
That's my experience after years. Try it out and introduce in a lecture a command line when the audience are not people who know how to program.

The vast majority are "just users" who have to fulfill a given task as quick as possible. It is not about intelligence or ignorance.
I often compare it to a car. I "just drive" it, I don't care about its gearbox or motor setup. Machines that hide their internals are a success because even engineers sometimes just want to use things. When I compare Windows with Linux (I have a Manjaro installation on my laptop too) the main difference is in my eyes, that Windows offers you the "it just works" experience while Manjaro purposely lets you look into the internals, lets you install kernels etc. And people who like or want to look at internals choose not Windows as main OS when they can decide.

However, we drift away from the topic that FC 0.19.3 was released.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

OK no more OT, a little remark.

It is true that many users use only the Gui, but there are many Windows users that know that a command line exist, many of them have no problem at all to even modify register settings.

Maybe simply blindly following internet found istructions, so supplying adeguate informations in proper places will help.

But this is an old discussion.

Sadly I use windows one or two time per year to only update my "Garmin car GPS" so I'm not a skilled user of Windows from at least 20 years.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 pm Using the command line is a No-Go in the Windows world. I only know people who understand the work "compiler" who know about the concept of "command line" :lol: (joke aside, these are really not that many)
So what? Perhaps you know the wrong people :) (tongue in cheek). I bet that there are far more Windows people knowing about the commandline than knowing about CAD modeling, leave alone about FreeCAD. Nevertheless it is very sensible to use such programs.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:54 pm I bet that there are far more Windows people knowing about the commandline than knowing about CAD modeling
That's not what I wrote, I wrote about "compiler". Try it out, ask a person who never run a compiler to run and execute a command line. Good luck ;)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

maybe we can provide two shortcuts in the release. One with default config location and another with a portable location