FreeCAD 0.19.3 released

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.19.3 released

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:00 pm 7z files are provided for years now and users know how to handle them. We see very few questions abou it here.
The point is that Windows' Explorer cannot handle *.7z. One needs to install 7zip, but to do this one needs admin permissions. I thought the idea of the zip file is that once can just extract. Many users don't have admin permissions. For example I first had to request the IT to install 7zip for me on my business laptop.

Therefore I think with a .zip every user can just unzip.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If at all, we could provide them additionally? How much bigger are they?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 pm If at all, we could provide them additionally? How much bigger are they?
780 MB vs. 560 MB
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:23 pm 780 MB vs. 560 MB
I took your .7z file, extracted it, then zipped it using 7zip and got 709 MB. I uploaded this zip now ad addition to the release:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.19.3

I tested and this ZIP can be handled directly with Windows explorer.
Please report of you see any issues with this.

(I think nowadays filesize does not matter for the vast majority of users.)
JoeKundlak

Post by JoeKundlak »

Having a ZIP alternative is indeed good for a common user. As we know, the days of us MS-DOS users are long gone and few people want to tinker with their pudding 8-)
Joe
---------------------------------------------------
translating into SK: https://wiki.freecadweb.org
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

vast majority yes, but there's still some in rural areas with crappy internet that would appreciate a smaller file (me included nowadays)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:53 am vast majority yes, but there's still some in rural areas with crappy internet that would appreciate a smaller file (me included nowadays)
We keep of course the .7z file.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:18 pm You can also "install" (in fact unzip) to a USB stick, but then your preferences will be different, depending on what PC you use the FC from your USB stick. Really portable would in my opinion if I could keep the preferences and I don't know yet if this possible. If there was such an installer in the past, please tell me that I can have a look.
Not sure if my comment helps but are you aware of the command line options to define which config files to use when starting FreeCAD? Does that help?

Jim
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:50 pm Does that help?
No because what I understand as portable is to have a USB. I can plug it into any PC and get FC the way I like it, with all my settings.

Using the command line is a No-Go in the Windows world. I only know people who understand the work "compiler" who know about the concept of "command line" :lol: (joke aside, these are really not that many)
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 pm
jmaustpc wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:50 pm Does that help?
No because what I understand as portable is to have a USB. I can plug it into any PC and get FC the way I like it, with all my settings.

Using the command line is a No-Go in the Windows world. I only know people who understand the work "compiler" who know about the concept of "command line" :lol: (joke aside, these are really not that many)
Your affirmation, is not exact.

If you see around, there are many "slightly advanced" guides for Widows that use "Shell commands".

At least if you don't consider all Windows users as in "For Dummies" popular book series.

It will be not difficult to create in USB Key root directory a shortcut to a freecad.bat that launch FreeCAD with proper settings to a config directory that reside in the USB key.

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/serv ... atch-file/

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/