ShipTools Workbench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
weebee13

ShipTools Workbench

Post by weebee13 »

Hello dear FreeCAD community,

I am now in the middle testing my new FreeCAD workbench after designing & coding for about 4 months. It's a shiptools workbench. Basically what this workbench does are things after the theoretical design process of the hull it self has be done using for example Jose Luis Cercos Ship Workbench. Filling the innards of the ship with structures elements such as bulkheads, profiles, manholes, brackets, pillars, corrugated plates, diamond plates and several other construction elements. Pretty simple things but very complex and heavy with the progress of a ship project become. Many engineers work in one or different space allocations. Other doing routing of pipes and some doing outfitting. It can also be used for further calculation/investigation using FEM and CFD.

Why am I doing this?
1) Love for ships, ship building and engineering
2) lot of curiosity :-D
3) hope that it can benefit others
4) domain knowledge should be preserved
5) learning process for me how to build an app in CAD

Test subject is an Offshore Suppport Vessel (OSV).
I use many years some high end CAD systems for shipbuilding/engineering, and now want those in FreeCAD.

I am pretty happy with what FreeCAD can offer. Without all of you this would not happen.

Thanks folks!

Jos Runarka
Attachments
ShipTools WB Toolbar
ShipTools WB Toolbar
Tw02.png (153.5 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
"Stop whining, get up and help yourself"
"Hör auf zu jammern, steh auf und hilf dir selbst"
"Stop met zeuren, sta op en help jezelf"

Progress videos of the WB:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFRTPtm92UMXGfh__jsA3dg
paullee
Veteran

Re: ShipTools Workbench

Post by paullee »

Looks really great !
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I'm not into shipbuilding but it's amazing that you've put that much effort into it and that everybody is able to learn from your experience regarding this topic. Thank you!
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Looks great!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

How to install?
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

Looks great.

Once a guy from ship building background says they use a lot of L shaped beams. I was wondering what it looks like in a ship

Do you have a simple example which can be used to test FEM program using shell element.

Regards

John
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
justwanttoknow

Post by justwanttoknow »

You might be interested in googling or duckduckgoing "holland profiles" like HP140*8.

Good combination of fabrication, shear area and section modulus. L-shapes more common in Aluminum structures.

@Jos: Thumbs up!
weebee13

Post by weebee13 »

@ everybody: Thanks! Before Christmas 2021 I am planning to post my findings
dev and test my workbench in the FreeCAD way of modeling. I am now in the design on how to cope with information
that I am going to use for the production preparation. Because at the end you need nested plates with information on it.
on it and a list of profiles with all information related to it. I already prepared those attributes for every single
feature I created. Thats why I prefer to dev in silence through the concept.

@TheMarkster: right now it is not available on any github or similar repos

@M4x: Max vielen dank! Why I did this? Well just because of curiosity how it has been done
and can I do this in FreeCAD?

@johnwang: John thanks! Yes alot of simple profiles such L, I, HP and T profiles are used in ship to
strength the plate field or strength a hole in a plate.
No I dont have an example of a hull for FEM
testing. I am now in the dev of special features to create structure in the form of sheets (without thickness)
using configuration of choice: tanker, bulk carier, LNG etc. Those sheets will have information "in it" such as
thickness, material, weight, thickness direction etc..that can be used for shell FEM.

@justwanttoknow: Hartelijk dank or Vielen Dank!

And btw, I just dont know how many would use such workbench like mine, because most FreeCAD user use FC for their private hobby projects. Nobody engineer a ship at home :-D .
Last edited by weebee13 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

weebee13 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:42 am [...]
Nobody engineer a ship at home :-D .
I wouldn't be too sure about that. The showcase section is full of awesome stuff!
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... hilit=Boat
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=18082
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=30769
weebee13

Post by weebee13 »

Hi Max,

thanks for pointing me to those excellent endeavour constructing/reconstructing real objects (Das Boot). Sure my workbench can be used for e.g. model builders or other purposes. Actually it could be very intersting use for research institutes at universities or small naval architect office. Until now the choice available are Rhino, Maxsurf and Autocad for 2D to do such work. If you have the resources to aquire high end package, then SIEMENS NX and CATIA is your best option. I will see how things develop and decide according that.

With best regards/mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Jos Runarka