[Feature request] Create multiple shortcuts for a single command

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Hologram

[Feature request] Create multiple shortcuts for a single command

Post by Hologram »

Hi,

I would like to create multiple shortcuts for a single command. The idea is as follows:
I use various pieces of software, sometimes I am working with CAD software, such as Rhino and on other occasions, I other software (e.g. Blender for rendering or the Affinity suite for illustration or other purposes). I like that FreeCAD supports many different ways of creating keyboard shortcuts, either through key sequences (up to 4 key aliases) and single shortcuts (press E to activate X). But, I would like to mix and match the two more depending on whether I am using primarily CAD software and aliases or other software and single shortcuts.

It would be nice if there was an option to add a second shortcut to a command e.g. delete by pressing X (like Blender) and delete by pressing the Del key. Another use-case is to add your own custom shortcut alongside the default ones, so it is easier to follow along with tutorials. While it is possible to add macros for commands that I want to map twice, I fear that it'll become increasingly difficult to manage shortcuts and macros in the long run.

Any thoughts on this?
Should I open a Github feature request?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Create multiple shortcuts for a single command

Post by chrisb »

Hologram wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 pm Should I open a Github feature request?
Not at this stage of your idea. Let's hear what others say about it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.