Addon Manager and Github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Addon Manager and Github

Post by keithsloan52 »

I don't want to distract Chris @chennes from making his very valuable contributions. Plus I feel he was very brave to take on the Addon_Manager in the first place, not least because of the the testing involved.

But wondering- A Github repro has an issues section and stars.

What do people think about having the list of Addons available to be installed have the number of stars for the Addon on displayed? I am assuming that github has a facility to access such info without have to resort to screen scrapping, if not then maybe a request to make such info available via an api.

Similarly that is the Addon's list of work benches etc, there is also a link/button people can press to take them to the issues section for a repro.
I know a lot of people will post to the forum which works well for popular workbenches like curves but as a developer, unless I regularly scan the forum for any posts relevant to a workbench, things get missed.

What do people think?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Addon Manager and Github

Post by adrianinsaval »

The issue tracker button can be a good idea but probably better to add a property to the xml so that the developer can put a link to where they want issues reported, the addon manager could auto detect github or gitlab issue trackers at most but addons can be hosted anywhere IIRC.

About showing the stars IMO this would be unfair to any addon that isn't hosted on github as they would show without starts or with very few stars just because they are hosted in a less popular website so I'm against this feature.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Frankly, I think this is useless.

I do not care how many stars an addon might have. My first concern is what it is supposed to do.

Addons are easy to add and remove, and they cost nothing. Just try one if it seems interesting. Very little commitment needed.

Gene
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:00 pm Frankly, I think this is useless.

I do not care how many stars an addon might have. My first concern is what it is supposed to do.

Addons are easy to add and remove, and they cost nothing. Just try one if it seems interesting. Very little commitment needed.

Gene
Have you developed any workbench?

Having developed a number of workbenches, I am interested to know if they are popular or not, also on a good path for raising and reporting issues.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am The issue tracker button can be a good idea but probably better to add a property to the xml so that the developer can put a link to where they want issues reported, the addon manager could auto detect github or gitlab issue trackers at most but addons can be hosted anywhere IIRC.
On a similar line a link to the workbenches wiki would be useful. I like the idea of an extra xml property
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:12 am What do people think?
You asked. I replied.

No need for a personal attack. :?

Gene
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

GeneFC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:35 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:12 am What do people think?
You asked. I replied.

No need for a personal attack. :?

Gene
How was my reply a personal attack?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:19 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am The issue tracker button can be a good idea but probably better to add a property to the xml so that the developer can put a link to where they want issues reported, the addon manager could auto detect github or gitlab issue trackers at most but addons can be hosted anywhere IIRC.
On a similar line a link to the workbenches wiki would be useful. I like the idea of an extra xml property
I just looked the Trials workbench.

The entry in the Addon_Manager does not list much info. Clicking on the more info does not work, make me wonder if the Addonn_Manager should just click of request to open a web page, rather than display the page in FreeCAD, even if that means have to configure it with which browser to use.

It just has two stars, I feel that it might have a lot more if people were given more of a hint/access to being able to star.

For me at the end of the day, one of the things that differentiates FreeCAD from the Fusion360, OnShape and various Non Open Source but free programs is the workbenches that offer up so much more functionality.