[ Feature Request ] : Sketcher adding Midpoint constraint/snap

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

[ Feature Request ] : Sketcher adding Midpoint constraint/snap

Post by Piero69 »

while sketching entities i feel useful a "midpoint constraint/snap", it would speed up the work

what do you think?

@paddle @chrisb @adrianinsaval
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [ Feature Request ] : Sketcher adding Midpoint constraint/snap

Post by chrisb »

I think it has been discussed before, including some input from Abdullah about feasability of this idea.
Currently use symmetry instead.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

chrisb wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:29 pm I think it has been discussed before
Yeah, many times. Also quite recently: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73286

This is one of the most anticipated tools in the Sketcher.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

It amazes me I've been able to live without it for nearly a decade... 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

drmacro wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:57 pm It amazes me I've been able to live without it for nearly a decade... 8-)
Sure, while not really necessary, as symmetry is in my opinion a much more versatile tool, the proposed wouldn't inherently be bad either. Personally I don't care about having, or not having it.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:58 pm
drmacro wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:57 pm It amazes me I've been able to live without it for nearly a decade... 8-)
Sure, while not really necessary, as symmetry is in my opinion a much more versatile tool, the proposed wouldn't inherently be bad either. Personally I don't care about having, or not having it.
If it is available, I'm sure it will get used.

As you say, what's available now is more versatile if understood and absorbed into ones workflow.

Many of these kinds of "need for speed" laments come from wanting to get to the "fully constrained" state as fast as possible. This should not be the goal of constraining, but, it takes some time (and experience with Sketcher) to think through constraint themes with intent, rather than blind convergence on "fully constrained".
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How exactly should this midpoint constraint work? What would be the difference to symmetry?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:37 am How exactly should this midpoint constraint work? What would be the difference to symmetry?
in Solidworks for exmple it works as an "automatic symmetry" when sketching. the point in which you attach the new entitiy is autamatically placed in the middle of the reference entitiy. you save the step to apply a following symmetry constraint
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Piero69 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:31 am in Solidworks for exmple it works as an "automatic symmetry" when sketching. the point in which you attach the new entitiy is autamatically placed in the middle of the reference entitiy. you save the step to apply a following symmetry constraint
So it's not really a new type of constraint. That seems much easier to implement, because it doesn't need any change to the solver.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

My opinion here is that what we need is 'snapping' in general for sketcher geometry tools.
Currently we have 'auto-constraint' which creates the constraint. Snapping override the cursor position to precisely the position we want.
Anyway I had develop 'snapping' in my branch on tool settings but this is pending as the rest of tool settings branch.

I havn't done mid point snapping yet though. But yes the idea is to snap to the middle of the line + create a symmetric autoconstraint.