FreeCAD looks for a new default background color

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD looks for a new default background color

Post by chennes »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:31 am Do you only need a header.h and a main.cpp when you develop a new program?
Technically only main.cpp is required (unless you are on Visual Studio, then you've have a precompiled.h as well).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
huntshaded

Post by huntshaded »

Laurie Hartley wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:49 pm This is an interesting discussion. I must say that I find the scaling along the axes in Openscad rather alluring. That and a simple colour might work well.

Alternatively is there an argument against having the grid as a default in the background?
However, this would create terrible contrast with the 3Dview content; in my opinion, we must pick either a dark or a light theme as the default. What we can do is have two sets of defaults, one for dark themes and one for light, and perhaps also have the system recognize whether a dark or light theme is being used.
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

huntshaded wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:55 am However, this would create terrible contrast with the 3Dview content; in my opinion, we must pick either a dark or a light theme as the default. What we can do is have two sets of defaults, one for dark themes and one for light, and perhaps also have the system recognize whether a dark or light theme is being used.
I like the idea of light and dark defaults but I wonder if there is a third option - "not too light and not too dark" :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Laurie Hartley wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:46 am "not too light and not too dark" :)
That's alight theme with an energy saving dimmed monitor.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mikhail222

Post by Mikhail222 »

For the least tiring background I'd suggest grey-ish ivory hues, and also add a slight analogue texture (like in the attachement, cardboard fiber texture is used).
Such texture eliminates "monochromaticity" which is one of eye strain reasons.

Also add possibility to quickly adjust the global brightness to be able to adapt to environment lighting without
the need to go into preferences menu. Or a quick preset selection menu.
Attachments
FreeCAD_bg.jpg
FreeCAD_bg.jpg (143.98 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Mikhail222 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:10 pm Also add possibility to quickly adjust the global brightness to be able to adapt to environment lighting without
the need to go into preferences menu. Or a quick preset selection menu.
That's out of scope IMO, use your monitor brightness or your OS nigh time filter for those things.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would rate texture on the background as counterproductive. It defeats the imagination of 3Dspace gong to infinity.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mikhail222

Post by Mikhail222 »

Rergarding the gradient - I vote for the radial with low contrast.
IMO It is most neutral and fits both 3D and sketcher fine.
So my setup would be something like this.
Attachments
FreeCAD_bg1.png
FreeCAD_bg1.png (574.7 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Mikhail222

Post by Mikhail222 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:03 pm I would rate texture on the background as counterproductive. It defeats the imagination of 3Dspace gong to infinity.
:? Just sharing how I see it. But such discussions often end up in very different opinions, even for basic
questions (like dark vs light theme holywars etc) so the best way is to give user more options for preferences.
So you prefer infinity, I'd prefer some scenery.

IMO best would be have several good thoroughly made themes , but again that would be relative to the author.
I personally don't see how to pull the best (read: least eye-straining for long work) from such UI without having bitmap bg overlay option.
That BTW could be some image with perspective going into infinity or whatever.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Mikhail222 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:50 pm that would be relative to the author.
Only sort of. The final decision is of course subjective, but there is a lot just to be worked through to create a full color set where e.g. all the colors in sketcher are visible. If you have followed the previous discussion about uwestoehrs premature color change then you see that that was a problem.