[Feature request] Fillet with variable radius in Part Design

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wieszak17

[Feature request] Fillet with variable radius in Part Design

Post by wieszak17 »

Is that feature somewhere on roadmap? I found old thread where some kind person volunteered do do it as it is practically GUI only thing, but it not ended in implementing it. For now doing such thing requires use of Part workbench which awfully breaks tree when someone need to use it creating Body, especially when for some reason such fillet cannot be made as last feature.
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Fillet with variable radius in Part Design

Post by NewJoker »

It was discussed a few times and there's a GitHub feature request for it but unfortunately, so far no actions were made to realize this. I agree that it would be good to implement it.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Fillet with variable radius in Part Design

Post by adrianinsaval »

I gave this a shot once, one of the problems is that OCCT's linearly variating fillet isn't actually linear so one has to provide several points to approximate a linear variation. The other problem is with detecting and dealing with tangent edges, had some funky results when just directly applying the same rule for all selected edges. And I don't like too much the way Part does it where you have to manually specify each edge in those situations.