Sketcher Constraint widget rework

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cadcam

Re: Sketcher Constraint widget rework

Post by cadcam »

Looks like excellent improvement.

I don't know how this fits with your re-arrangement, but might it be possible to

1) Add a button that when activated allows the user to drag the
mouse over the list of constraints immediately highlighting
it on the sketch. (And ideally highlighting dependant constraints
in a different colour)

2) Arrange to at least toggle between last two settings of filters
or perhaps have a number of saved filter sets
which are easy to recall. [inc short cut?]

3) Possibly an option which highlights conflicting/duplicate constraints
when adding new constraints

BW
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:59 pm
paddle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:41 am Let me know if you spot any problem/feature regression with new UI.
Very nice work!

Although the filters are now much smaller than the rest, they are still the widest section. If they are not needed, 3D view could be enlarged a bit, but that hides the expansion handles for "Edit controls", "Constraints", "Elements", ...
Is it possible to make these smaller, so that they are still available, even when the panel is smaller than the Filter?
You mean to make the row with filter + the 4 buttons smaller?
-Now with the checkbox it's already smaller than it was with the button. It's now already much smaller than other widgets.
-Also the setting button could be put on the row under, with the checkbox "All" but aligned on the right.
- And the space between buttons could be made smaller. But it might feel cramped.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

paddle wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:55 am You mean to make the row with filter + the 4 buttons smaller?
No, I see that optimization is hardly possible, and I would not sacrifice another line. I meant moving these handles ...
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-01 um 12.43.01.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-01 um 12.43.01.png (278.48 KiB) Viewed 921 times
to the left. Then the user can still reach them if the panel is narrower than needed. I'm afraid though, that these are Qt predefined things and intervening is difficult.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't like too much that filtering requires extra space on the task widget which already overcrowded and hard to navigate as is. I would prefer if it was a toolbutton with a widget that can be dismissed easily.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 am I don't like too much that filtering requires extra space on the task widget which already overcrowded and hard to navigate as is. I would prefer if it was a toolbutton with a widget that can be dismissed easily.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 am I don't like too much that filtering requires extra space on the task widget which already overcrowded and hard to navigate as is. I would prefer if it was a toolbutton with a widget that can be dismissed easily.
Yes, though it would take space only when being used.
An improvement could be to put that list widget in a kind of menu that would collapse when mouse goes away.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Yes that's what I had in mind if the comboview was not possible
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

posting also here my wishes for the filter widget:
adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:46 pm I'm of the opinion that the best UX for those filters would be to mimic the filtering widget seen for example in MS Excel (left) or even better LibreOffice Calc (right) users will be familiar with this and IMO it's pretty efficient:
office-filters.png
office-filters.png (14.3 KiB) Viewed 671 times
(sorry for the spanish, FYI todo means all)
they are full widgets shown after clicking in a combobox and can be dismissed by clicking outside of them, in the libreoffice widget the check and cross icons on the right of the "All" checkbox are to show only the selected item and for showing everything except the selected item respectively, I found those to be very useful buttons.
(this is from the discussion regarding the elements group box)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I have compiled and tested the PR and left a comment describing the problems I found: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... 1309468003

On a separate note to that, I suggest to simplify a little more the UI to something like this:
Screenshot_20221109_195505.png
Screenshot_20221109_195505.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 507 times
The eye icon would do what the "All" checkbox from the PR does, the button to dismiss all filters is removed since it is redundant with the filter checkbox and the "All" option in the filter list.
The buttons to filter selected and associated constraints are returned to the filter list so they can be active dynamic filters instead of being one off actions.
This is just a suggestion, I don't feel strongly about it and I share it here to see what other people think.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I'm ok to put associated and selected in the filter list. But how do you propose them to work exactly?
Should they be unchecked by default and checking them adds an additional filter ?

Say you have 'coincidence' and 'associated' both checked. Then it should show only the coincidence of selected geometries?
Last edited by paddle on Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.