Why is the Origin in Body and Part mandatory?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jolbas

Re: Why is the Origin in Body and Part mandatory?

Post by Jolbas »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:55 pm So let's see if anybody else is here around feeling the same as you
Yes, we'll see. There's no massive cheering so far :)

I'm also hoping for a little more technical answer of why I'm not allowed to delete those Origin elements. Are there essential parts of the program that are fully dependent of them?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Jolbas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:03 pm ...Are there essential parts of the program that are fully dependent of them?
Yes.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Jolbas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:03 pm I'm also hoping for a little more technical answer of why I'm not allowed to delete those Origin elements.
You are allowed to delete the origins.

After you do so be sure to look up the recent forum Help topics where users accidently deleted the origins and found everything broken in their models. :mrgreen:

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I "succeeded" in deleting an origin. Now nothing really goes. I can't even delete the broken Part container.
Attachments
noOrigin.FCStd
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Jolbas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:12 am Yes, sorry. I forgot to uncheck the "show all". I wasn't going to change them but I thought they could be read only, which would actually protect them.
yes this is kind of a bug IMO, they should be read only.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

chrisb wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:58 pm I "succeeded" in deleting an origin. Now nothing really goes. I can't even delete the broken Part container.
Yes, thats a broken document. I don't know how you removed the Origin from the Part.
Here's my take using the Project Utility. Removed Origins from Part and Body. Everything works well as far as I can see. You can of cause not attach new objects no the non existing Origins but if you attach to other objects it works.

There are warnings but I don't see any failures.
Attachments
noOrigin2.fcstd
(17.25 KiB) Downloaded 7 times