Clear background for unused UI space.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Clear background for unused UI space.

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:58 pm Best concept for FreeCAD clearance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrOP7sLqwiM.
Is there any progress in making this available?
@ickby
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

that was abandoned long ago I believe, IIRC it wasn't even ported to qt5. But yeah, it looked great.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:22 am that was abandoned long ago
Sadly.

Greetings
user1234
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I am totally against this change. This might be a good time to express my opinion.

Unnecessary changes take away computing cycles so I will always be against this kind of thing. I understand that capable people see an opportunity to make the screen look different but there are also people using the program that sit waiting for a process to finish. In a large model I can sit waiting seconds for each change to finish, I don't want any of my time invested in code running invisible backgrounds.

Changes like these could be done later after FreeCAD is fully functional, then someone could branch the program and add all the visibility options they can think about. FreeCAD Master should be optimized for speed, the fast engine that can be used for many things.

IMO :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:39 am Changes like these could be done later after FreeCAD is fully functional, then someone could branch the program and add all the visibility options they can think about. FreeCAD Master should be optimized for speed, the fast engine that can be used for many things.
I understand what you mean and in a commercial environment with a staff of payed programmers, there could a decision be made what to do first. Alas, the situation is different here. The question is here, if changing something makes FreeCAD better, and not if it would be even better to change something else.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I've had my say. If you open large files from ppemawm or jpg87 and edit them for just a short time you will see that FreeCAD needs to be faster not slower.

I really don't want Master to head down the same path as RT Link Branch. I still can't run Link Branch on my dual monitor system and keep the panels in place. Messing around with visual adaptations across multiple OS's and a hundred different video cards is just problematic.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

More often than not this type of things are implemented as an option. Don't like it? Just disable it. Besides that, this kind of UI stuff is unlikely to be a significant slowdown IMO, the bottleneck is in occt, not in the UI.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

More often than not this type of things are implemented as an option. Don't like it? Just disable it.
Realthunder appears to be a really good programmer and after a couple years he still has issues with making the panels and screens work correctly. That's enough to make me nervous. Options are good and could work.
Besides that, this kind of UI stuff is unlikely to be a significant slowdown IMO, the bottleneck is in occt, not in the UI.
Yes, one small screen change probably won't slow things down but I have noticed that once someone gets into the code and starts changing things then the community chimes in and says, how about this, how about this, and this.....

It just seems the screens, panels, text and dialogs on all computers are not mature and equal across all platforms. Even if the programmer does everything correctly the changes might not work across all platforms. If someone plans to dabble in screen changes they should at least be able to test the changes on a few of the OS's on their test systems, dual monitors also.

Thanks