[Discussion] Coincident vs Point on Object

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Discussion] Coincident vs Point on Object

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:06 pm This means when adding, you must create a new toolbar and add every constraint tool.
why? you can perfectly have a toolbar with just those 2
No, the default setting should be for the standard common user, not for beginners.
I disagree, if the standard user that already knows the software is dissatisfied with the defaults they can adjust it to their needs, they should adjust it to their needs because there's no way the software will come tailored perfectly for them. Of course this doesn't mean automating everything and trying to guess everything for the user but that does not mean we have to live like cavemen. Some automation is good (rad/diam, tangency, symmetry, perpendicular, the filters in the task dialog and in the future paddle's widget and contextual constraining).
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I say we just put a preference setting "merge coincidence and point on object".

And for default value we just make a poll and the most asked for is default value. Then everyone should be happy no?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:23 pm
I disagree, if the standard user that already knows the software is dissatisfied with the defaults they can adjust it to their needs, they should adjust it to their needs because there's no way the software will come tailored perfectly for them. Of course this doesn't mean automating everything and trying to guess everything for the user but that does not mean we have to live like cavemen. Some automation is good (rad/diam, tangency, symmetry, perpendicular, the filters in the task dialog and in the future paddle's widget and contextual constraining).
At least we can agree, that we disagree in in that point, i really do not like that kind of autmagic stuff.

Greetings
user1234
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Standard debate trick.

Postulate the desired answer and everything falls into place. :lol:

Gene
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I got home to my family after a 9 month military deployment away from them just yesterday so I've been a bit disconnected. I'll restore the first post as best as possible in the morning.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Snap build for testers being generated. Will be available at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-snap/pull/62
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
aapo

Post by aapo »

I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out the obvious benefit of having Coincident vs Point on Object as separate constraints: Suppose one has a sketcher point that has both constraints simultaneously, i.e. the point is coincident with some other point, and the point is also lying on some line, and one wants to delete one of these constraints (be it the first or second). Then, it's much easier to select the correct constraint to be deleted if they have different names and icons, regardless if you'll select it from the constraint list or directly in the 3D view. This is a fairly common scenario, and I had always assumed this had been the reason to separate the constraints, and I use this extra UI information whenever I need to delete such constraints.

Someone said that it'd be nice to have coincident constraint visible in 3D view, too, and I fully agree; but I think it might need to be an option you'd be able to switch on and off in order to keep the 3D view less cluttered, as this is a fairly common constraint. Almost all points have this constraint.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the constraints can be different but be inserted by the same command.
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 pm the constraints can be different but be inserted by the same command.
+1

Pretty much what I was thinking too.

Sketcher basically already does this with autoconstraints during sketching.

You could do it the same way radius and diameter constraints do it: put them together in a drop down and add an auto detect option.
aapo

Post by aapo »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 pm the constraints can be different but be inserted by the same command.
The problem with that is that you'd lose some consistency in the UI. The icons for the driving command and the constraints itself would have to be different, which would add confusion to the UI.

pathfinder wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:25 pm You could do it the same way radius and diameter constraints do it: put them together in a drop down and add an auto detect option.
This is actually quite a good idea, but it's pretty far from the original suggestion to completely combine the constraints. For me personally, that'd work perfectly, but would it be easy enough to understand for a novice user?