2D symbologies for BIM projects

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HenriqueReis

2D symbologies for BIM projects

Post by HenriqueReis »

Hi guys, i have developing the symbols in 2D, so seeing post the Yorik explaining the flow project BIM, but one question it got hard is the symbology questions, which then used the SGV files by the TechDraw Workbench, which would be the over-loaded design sheet. So I thought of elaborating some symbologies (non-parametric) and more than that trying to convert the measurements to a 1:1 scale. Detail the symbols used as references are from the Brazilian Standard - ABNT NBR 06492 - If you are interested, I will leave the link for access, remembering that the information is in Portuguese. But the biggest issue for me is that, thinking about the BIM project flow guided by Yorik (BIm -> Draft -> TechDraw), I would think that the placement of symbologies, could be used in the Draft phase and not in TechDraw.

Just thinking about it (insert Symbologies in the Draft phase) I came across a "problem" because as you will see in the print, the project tree was "polluted" and even if you think about it, the file will be "heavy" in the end, more than Applying the symbologies by TechDraw. So I would like your help on how to make the insertion of symbology more adequate and with a 1:1 scale. I reinforce that a friend of mine created a symbology macro, but it needs to be fed, but if we think about this polluted project tree unfortunately it doesn't make the file light.

Screenshot from 2022-05-03 18-53-04.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-03 18-53-04.png (254.89 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
yorik
Founder

Re: 2D symbologies for BIM projects

Post by yorik »

I think we need a kind of "Draft symbol" object, that works the same way as the TechDraw symbol: you can load a svg (or dxf) file, and adjust the scale.

Ideally it should also offer to reload the symbol from the file, like the Arch Reference...

Then maykow's library macro would be easy to adapt, it could create Draft Symbols instead of using SVG import directly.

I am not sure the importSVG script is able toereturn a shape without creating an object in the document, i'll check, but if not, it should be rather easy to implement.
HenriqueReis

Post by HenriqueReis »

In fact, the Maykow macro is very interesting and comes in very handy until in the near future it will be officially on the BIM bench. But what is bothering me at the moment is this project tree that is very "polluted" for symbologies and making a small project even ok, but a large size this huge series would be very heavy. I've been using version 0.19... I believe that in 0.20 with the hatches I'll be able to keep, for example, the ABNT standard in the level and cut symbology. If eventually you can't download the file I made available for this project let me know and I'll send it another way.
yorik wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:16 am I think we need a kind of "Draft symbol" object, that works the same way as the TechDraw symbol: you can load a svg (or dxf) file, and adjust the scale.

Ideally it should also offer to reload the symbol from the file, like the Arch Reference...

Then maykow's library macro would be easy to adapt, it could create Draft Symbols instead of using SVG import directly.

I am not sure the importSVG script is able toereturn a shape without creating an object in the document, i'll check, but if not, it should be rather easy to implement.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Symbol is indeed critical on drawings production :)

Can you show an example file for reference.

Maybe this should be in the Arch/BIM forum for more exposure.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I looked at the importSVG.py script, it's not ready to produce shapes without creating document objects. So I think a first step would be to allow it to return a list of Part.Shapes without creating objects. Then all we need is a new Draft object that uses importSVG.py to produce its shape. It should also be able to scale the shape, the code for that can be reused from Draft Clone. Later on, it can be extended to also support DXF/DWG files.
HenriqueReis

Post by HenriqueReis »

I bring news, I believe I managed to reduce the symbology project tree a lot. Where I had fixed text I used the tool: ShapeString. That allowed me to combine all the drafts into a single combo. As in the images below.

Now symbologies that required text change, such as floor level, light fixture references for electrical projects, were kept in a folder (group). Now we need to text in the tool developed by the engineer Mykow Menezes, especially on those that involve texts that need to be changed. If everything goes well, I'll let you know and give Yorik if you're interested in transforming the macro + library to create a new tool for the BIM bench, it will be a great boost.
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-06-28.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-06-28.png (112.76 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-05-38.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-05-38.png (22.14 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-04-23.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-04-23.png (35.87 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-03-59.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-03-59.png (231.83 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
yorik wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:33 am I looked at the importSVG.py script, it's not ready to produce shapes without creating document objects. So I think a first step would be to allow it to return a list of Part.Shapes without creating objects. Then all we need is a new Draft object that uses importSVG.py to produce its shape. It should also be able to scale the shape, the code for that can be reused from Draft Clone. Later on, it can be extended to also support DXF/DWG files.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-06-28.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-17 00-06-28.png (112.76 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Awesome!!
We could actually extend our Draft Symbol object to be able to display text too!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks really great !
lalberts

Post by lalberts »

This is very interesting.
Is it then possible to switch from a 2D representation with symbols, to a 3D representations with model-objects?
That is what DDS-CAD for example is doing for electrical-planing.
This is the ground for MEP Planing. (are you aware of Qelectrotech.org ? very nice symbol and scheme editor)
Of course the future of it is to go ifc/BIM. But this is the 'light' part to map FreeCAD-symbols to ifc-objects.
The real task is to make the symbols intelligent..having the physical simulation behind. That for, i believe some graph-based database should be the back-end of all those symbols? Then some (may be) modelica apps would do the simulation.
KiCAD has all (symbol&3D&simulation) of it, but not in ifc/BIM.

I am not qualified enough in computing science to participate, but I am wondering every day how cool FOSS can be.
Following FreeCAD and osarch.org.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

BTW I just realized that now all Part-based objects have a LineColorArray property, which accepts a list of (r,g,b) color tuples, so we can have multiple line colors in one shape...

About hybrid 3D/2D objects, that's certainly a possibility at some point. Many BIM apps do that. Honestly I'm no fan of it, it is not supported by IFC, and it seems overly complicated while there might be many other possibilities to achieve the same result (have a different object in the 3D view and in the 2D view), maybe even some more interesting.

Basically we need something that says: "this object's shape must be switched with this other shape when viewed in that section plane"