Applying for Epic MegaGrant

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
llazaroff

Applying for Epic MegaGrant

Post by llazaroff »

I was wondering whether you (devs) thought about applying for Epic MegaGrant to aid and speed up the development of FreeCAD. I know that there has been one (FCGear) before, but that was 'only' part of the software (and I'm not entirely sure whether it's even inbuild into the FreeCAD or a separate addon). What I mean now is applying as entirity of FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Applying for Epic MegaGrant

Post by Kunda1 »

AFAIK, @looo represented himself and applied directly for the external FCgear workbench. It would be good to know what parameters are necessary for FC to apply as a whole? And what would we target development-wise, if so
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
llazaroff

Post by llazaroff »

It would be good to know what parameters are necessary for FC to apply as a whole?
Everything required for application can be found at: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/megagrants , but to summarize:
project build, video, description, next steps in development, whether you (FC) are requesting specific amount of money and if so, and it exceeds 25 000 USD what its supposed to be used on
And what would we target development-wise, if so
As I don't have (necessary) in depth knowledge of the project I won't make any suggestions. However, to ensure acceleration in growth and adoption of FC I recommend hiring multiple full time devs. (somebody from current contributors / devs if possible)
GAZ082

Post by GAZ082 »

Just give all the money to realthunder :)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

GAZ082 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:22 pm Just give all the money to realthunder :)
Hmm... :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Sam_uk

Post by Sam_uk »

As a brand new user some random observations

*Collaborating with others on FreeCAD designs is not super easy.
- Something like an 'official' version of https://justyour.parts/ on a fast server somewhere with annotation/collaboration tools would be awesome.
- Improving the aesthetics of the WebGL export would help showcase FreeCAD
- An upgrade of this forum software to https://www.discourse.org/[url][/url] would have improved my experience