Repeated login requests

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreddyFreddy

Re: Repeated login requests

Post by FreddyFreddy »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:45 pm
GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 pm
If you don't mind sharing, what do your privacy settings look like in Firefox?
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 pm I don't use a MAC. :lol:
I have a cookie from freecadweb.org (change some minutes ago) and one from freecad.org, changed two days ago.
The thick plottens. One might ask how is it that you have cookies from two different versions of the same thing?

There are certainly two domains: freecad.org since 2003 and freecadweb.org since 2010.

Google, wiki, facebook all promote freecadweb.org as THE domain.

A curiosity then is the web page source code on https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage in which all references are to freecad.org, including forum and wiki. So if you open freecad.org or freecadweb.org, the links will all take you to freecad.org.

You can goto and login to either forum.freecad.org or forum.freecadweb.org and neither will redirect to the other. Quite bizarre. Maybe down the track a little housekeeping is in order.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 am If you don't mind sharing, what do your privacy settings look like in Firefox?
A bit difficult to describe due to non English language settings, here we go anyway: I reject all cookies and contents surveying activities across several websites, no crypto miners, no fingerprinter, use always "Do Not Track"; ask if passwords should be stored.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 am If you don't mind sharing, what do your privacy settings look like in Firefox?
As Chrisb says, it is a bit difficult to give all the fine details.

I block all trackers, but I do not think that is important here.

I "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed", but I have a lot of specific exceptions under the "Manage Exceptions" tab. These exceptions include the various websites for which I want to keep login credentials.

I clear cache and history when I close Firefox, although I do not believe that is important here.

I have used these generic settings (or equivalents) since I started with Netscape more than 25 years ago.

Gene
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 pm
I had a post prepared but when I pressed "Preview" the login popped up and after that the prepared post was gone :x , so here we go again.

As you say, Firefox allows you to set persistent cookie exceptions.
Safari has removed that option. Apparently unchecking "Prevent cross-site tracking" might work but that would be opening a rather large door.

Apparently there are inherent risks in the Remember Me cookie thing that I won't claim to understand. One is that you cannot know the quality of the implementation. And another is related to these cookies being hacked.

Browsers are slowly but surely tightening the noose in response to Google/Facebook and evil hackers etc.

So I see two issues:

1. Browser default settings increasingly blocking Remember Me functionality out of the box. Short of not offering Remember Me this will require even more support and documentation.

2. Confusing and potentially conflicting use of two domain names: freecad.org, and freecaweb.org. This site produces cookies for both, somehow triggering repeated login requests resulting in lost input, and frustration. Even the official freecad web page(s) steer menu items to freecad.org, but freecadweb.org is the one marketed.

** PREVIEW JUST DID IT AGAIN !! (but I'd copied the content first) **
Isabel

Post by Isabel »

I use Safari as it comes out of the box. I stay logged in from one day to the next. I will try if I can reproduce the discarding of messages.
Isabel

Post by Isabel »

This is a test where I logged out of the forum in a second tab while editing this message.

The message was indeed gone after the login, but I could go back two steps and there the input field was still filled. I added this text and confirm now.
Isabel

Post by Isabel »

When I tried to submit the previous post I got the message "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." I submitted again and as you can see, the post was added as expected.
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

Isabel wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:35 pm I use Safari
Version? Mac/iOS? Prevent cross-site tracking checked? Private browsing?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:04 pm 2. Confusing and potentially conflicting use of two domain names: freecad.org, and freecaweb.org. This site produces cookies for both, somehow triggering repeated login requests resulting in lost input, and frustration. Even the official freecad web page(s) steer menu items to freecad.org, but freecadweb.org is the one marketed.
I don't think the double domain is the issue, I had random logouts before the freecad.org domain was acquired. If I'm not mistaken we have both in use because we lack manpower for a full migration, but the end goal is to move to the freecad.org domain and leave freecadweb.org as just a redirect.