Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April 3)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas

Post by Kunda1 »

C4e wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:10 pm Improvements on the topological naming problem!?
My take: It would take a new person at least a year of studying the code to improve this. It would go beyond duration of GSoC.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:14 pm
C4e wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:10 pm Improvements on the topological naming problem!?
My take: It would take a new person at least a year of studying the code to improve this. It would go beyond duration of GSoC.
Not to mention that a mitigation algorithm currently exists and the first chunk of it is in the review phase as a PR.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:14 pm
Does it need studying? I thought that realthunder had broken his updates into 3 or 4 pull requests.
Not very exciting from a students point of view but could a GSOC project not be testing out one of these and reporting bugs for
realthunder or wmayer etc to fix. Would learn a lot of FreeCAD in the process.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

keithsloan52 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:02 pm Does it need studying? I thought that realthunder had broken his updates into 3 or 4 pull requests.
Not very exciting from a students point of view but could a GSOC project not be testing out one of these and reporting bugs for
Maybe. Not sure. It's a separate topic of discussion to assess the utility of this. You don't want to burnout the core devs either. TNP is a burn-out type of work. And the student would be extra work for the dev to manage, potentially.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:09 pm A super easy comfortable smart user friendly measurement tool :)

A polished section view mode.
+1
chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:47 pm Sketcher B-spline through points and points on the curve.
+1

And my proposal: parametric transformation tools for PD (move, scale, rotate)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

keithsloan52 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:02 pm Does it need studying? I thought that realthunder had broken his updates into 3 or 4 pull requests.
My guess is: It is not testing. I tested in the branch and I sure will, if we say we make a 4 weeks experimental testing master. Many here would do so, I am sure.
But for a project like FreeCAD it is important to not only have something that works right now, it has to be integrated in a way so that every future developer can understand and improve it further.
I don't see any chance for a student to do this, without being a clone of Werner.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

These are all cool ideas! Let them coming!
Our open CAD umbrella under the lead of BRL-CAD has already applied for GSOC2022, we are now awaiting Google's announcement.

Note that the TPN was already a GSOC project in the past. Google does not require to deliver a "finished product". You can perfectly well "work on something", even if what you do is basically advance the discussion further. Anything is possible, as long as it helps the project ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: orgs register on Feb 8th)

Post by Kunda1 »

Updated OP
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: orgs register on Feb 8th)

Post by yorik »

If anyone has a good idea in mind, I would ask to take a little bit of time and write a proper text describing the idea, ideally on https://github.com/opencax/GSoC/issues (but could be here too if you prefer, someone else will place there if needed). Don't worry if not properly formatted, others can help and fix after you. But it allows to have a better view of what is needed and what effort a student will need to put in there
keithsloan52
Veteran

GSOC 2022 - OpenSCAD - FreeCAD

Post by keithsloan52 »

I guess more of an OpenSCAD GSOC than FreeCAD but what I would like to see is more cooperative developments and ideas for such a project
could be any one or more of the following.
  • Add facility to OpenSCAD language to output on export of CSG ( I think OpenSCAD has a small bounty on this facility )
    • Text
    • Function calls
    The idea being that these could then be read by the FreeCAD importer and acted upon.
    OpenSCAD has a number of libraries people have written e.g. BSOL. The above calls could be added to the library
    and this would facilitate better transfer between OpenSCAD and FreeCAD e.g. fillets, gears etc
  • The FreeCAD OpenSCAD workbench has the addElement function. One can load/display/edit OpenSCAD scad or csg files and this could
    be enhanced quite considerably
  • OpenSCAD Hull requests end up as Meshes in FreeCAD the OpenSCAD Alternate has experimental code to examine Hull requests to see if they could be realised by Brep objects rather than Mesh. Only certain Hull requests can be handled in this way but the number of conditions that are currently handled could still be added to.