0.20 binary stl create part from mesh

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: 0.20 binary stl create part from mesh

Post by wmayer »

In 0.20 this no longer works for this file but does still work for others.
Do v0.19 and v0.20 use different OCC versions?

When inspecting the (binary) STL file then there are a couple of defects. There are some duplicate points and probably as a consequence degenerated triangles and non-manifold edges. This might be the reason for the failure to create a shape.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

wmayer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 am ...
When inspecting the (binary) STL file then there are a couple of defects. There are some duplicate points and probably as a consequence degenerated triangles and non-manifold edges. This might be the reason for the failure to create a shape.
To respond to the contents of the zip files...I did not keep the files after I downloaded from Discord. Obviously, I got the open, extract, repackage wrong. Unless the OP wants to follow up and post them, I'm afraid I'm no help.

For another data point, which may have no bearing... When I did open them, I tried both OCC 7.5.3 and 7.6 (with the source du'jour of FC 0.20). I saw the same defects you note. But, I opened them in Blender and it found no non-manifold issues. (And, Blender is pretty good about finding them.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

bkw wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm In 0.19, I can open this stl and do Part->Create shape from mesh...

In 0.20 this no longer works for this file but does still work for others.
To make it working you must go to the Mesh repair function in the Mesh wb. Check for duplicate points and repair them, then check for degenerated facets and repair them. Afterwards you can create a shape from the mesh.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

git commit 113a587ae5
Allows you to directly use the mesh-to-part function. It now considers certain defects of the input mesh.