Missing 2 ViewFit icons in toolbar

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Missing 2 ViewFit icons in toolbar

Post by adrianinsaval »

This is how I understand it: FreeCAD uses icons from the system theme when they are available by default, naturally common operations that are found in other softwares are in the system theme (open, copy, undo, view fit, etc) but FreeCAD specific stuff is not in those themes (create Part, Front View, etc) so the FreeCAD provided icons are used. When you set that parameter, the system theme folders are removed from the icon search path and only the FreeCAD provided icons are available to the program.
IIRC yorik had made the change to make FreeCAD use the system icons or maybe this was always the case, I don't know for sure. A few years ago triplus created that parameter to remove the system paths, this was discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p365998
I don't know if it's possible to keep the system icons available and give the FreeCAD icons priority but IMO this would be a better behavior. Yorik and others said using the system icons is a better default behavior in Linux but given that the view fit icons will most likely not be appropriate maybe this isn't true for FreeCAD
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

TIL. Thanks!
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:53 pm I don't know if it's possible to keep the system icons available and give the FreeCAD icons priority but IMO this would be a better behavior.
That makes sense to me. But not sure what the technical implications are to that.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:42 pm Thanks. I assume you're referring to this parameter?
Bitmaps/Theme/ThemeSearchPaths (boolean): Set to false so FreeCAD uses it's included icons instead of the system icon theme on Linux.
I've been using FC for 10 years. First time I see these icons :shock:
Thanks a lot !
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:53 pm I've been using FC for 10 years. First time I see these icons
Thanks a lot
That killed me 🤣
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I keep thinking about this issue. This is utterly confusing to newbs. Especially such an important function like ViewFit for a beginner not to know!

So I'm wondering if there is a way for FC to have logic to test if it's on a system that is missing the icons for this functionality?
yorik wrote::bell:
CC @yorik
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:23 pm I keep thinking about this issue. This is utterly confusing to newbs. Especially such an important function like ViewFit for a beginner not to know!

So I'm wondering if there is a way for FC to have logic to test if it's on a system that is missing the icons for this functionality?
If the icons are missing in the system theme then FreeCAD's icons would be used. The system icon's are just too different to FreeCAD's and that is confusing you.