How to measure radius

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
VincentSkerved

Re: How to measure radius

Post by VincentSkerved »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:13 pm I don't know of any development, but from what I see here in the forum, an improved measurement tool would be appreciated. Besides that there is nothing wrong with using addons. That's what extensible software is about.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will have a look at the code base to see what I could do myself. It is certainly a much larger project than I have been working on before. But I know you look for more devs to help, so I am interested to give it a go.
Nothing wrong with addons. I just think what I am after is something that should be built-in. But that's my view of it, I happily discuss it with you guys, but I think I will do a mock-up or something first.
VincentSkerved

Post by VincentSkerved »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:15 pm in my opinion, draft line is a quick measuring tool. here's an example
Thanks for the tip, I will try that as well, but I don't think it's really what I'm after.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

VincentSkerved wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:08 pm Maybe I should ask in the development fourm?
Open Discussion is the appropriate forum for feature requests. But this one has been asked quite a few times.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Open discussion.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

heron wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:25 pm There is a Measure tool in Asembly4 workbench.
VincentSkerved wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm Thanks for the reply. I think I will have a look at the code base to see what I could do myself.
the code for the Asm4 measure tool is here:
https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... Measure.py

It's nearly standalone, you should have no difficulty to make a macro out of it.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

if someone takes the trouble to set up new measurement functions in freecad, it should be possible that e.g. a craftsman can measure this pipe lying diagonally in space with 2 twisted miter cuts in less than 30 seconds
2049.FCStd
(161.94 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmuWr6BBBq4

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 pm if someone takes the trouble to set up new measurement functions in freecad, it should be possible that e.g. a craftsman can measure this pipe lying diagonally in space with 2 twisted miter cuts in less than 30 seconds
It might have taken me more than 30 seconds, probably closer to 2 minutes (EDIT: but it also depends on what exactly you want to measure: max length of each tube, length of centerline ...)

measure.png
measure.png (297.91 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Zolko wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:17 pm ...max length of each tube,...
yes, the craftsman needs that to cut the part. with your measure the part would be about 36 mm too short.

the measure here results from a sweep, there is no sketch in which the measure is contained. it is difficult to measure. it also lies at an angle in the room

bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

and ... what has all this to do with "measuring radius" ?
you guys are hijackers ;)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

bambuko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:44 am and ... what has all this to do with "measuring radius" ?
sorry, that wasn't my intention. I had understood that it is now generally about new measuring functions in freecad