App totally closes when trying to Select all constraints using Cmd + A

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mantrap_smart0g

App totally closes when trying to Select all constraints using Cmd + A

Post by mantrap_smart0g »

While trying to delete all constraints of a sketch using the keyboard shortcut Cmd + A, the FreeCad application closes.

1. Open FreeCAD
2. Press the "create new document" button
3. Switch to the Part Design workbench
4. Create a body then the sketch
5. Draw anything, to better reproduce make a rectangle using polyline.
6. Leave the sketch and open it again.
7. Select a constraint and the try select all with Cmd + A
8. The following error appear: "Select at least one ellipse and one edge from the sketch."
9. Try to select more than one constraint, like select two, then press the default select all keyboard shortcut with Command (Cmd ⌘) + A
10. The FreeCAD application closes suddenly.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.2)
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)

https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4790
chrisb
Veteran

Re: App totally closes when trying to Select all constraints using Cmd + A

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You did some things very well with your first, but I'm sad to say: others are utterly wrong!

The good stuff first: You explained what you did and you added your FreeCAD infos.
The wrong stuff: You completely ignored the big banner in the tracker, well, it's not big, it is huge. And it asks you to follow the bug reporting process, which means that you have to create a discussion here in the Help section before creating a ticket. I have to say that it is annoying if people ignore such basic things.

Concerning your issue: In 0.19 CMD+A is in sketcher bound to the function "Constrain internal alignment", which requires e.g. an ellipse to work on.
The shortcuts have been changed in 0.20. If you want to select all constraints you better do it in the constraints list at the left. If you want to remove all constraints, then use the function "Delete all constraints" from the menu.

And to end with some good stuff: Your error report was not completely wrong. If I select two constraints in 3D view and invoke then "Constrain internal alignment", FreeCAD still crashes in 0.20.
Please change your ticket accordingly.

I move this post to Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:20 pm The wrong stuff: You completely ignored the big banner in the tracker, well, it's not big, it is huge. And it asks you to follow the bug reporting process, which means that you have to create a discussion here in the Help section before creating a ticket. I have to say that it is annoying if people ignore such basic things.
Can't totally agree with that. I can't really blame someone (as far as the ticket report is good) because this is totally insane that a user has to create an account to see the banner.
I already told this : if we want the guidelines to be more respected, we absolutely shall prevent users to create an account in the tracker and expose our guidelines before starting the sign up process.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

openBrain wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:37 pm a user has to create an account to see the banner.
I see the banner when I am not logged in.
mantrap_smart0g

Sorry for not submitting to the forum first. As was said on banner that the post on forum was to verify the bug, and I thought that there's no way as the bug don't be real, I skipped to the Tracker as I thought that closing the application while working can be huge problem.
But sorry for not following exactly as said. I just wanted to help as soon as possible.
I just added the link of forum to the tracker notes, or I need to create a new issue?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

mantrap_smart0g wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:32 pm I just added the link of forum to the tracker notes, or I need to create a new issue?
Everything is fine. As @chrisb mentioned, there is a way to reproduce in 0.20 too so one can use a debug version easily to get a call trace. If no one does, I'll do it later on when I have a computer with me.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mantrap_smart0g wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:32 pm I just added the link of forum to the tracker notes, or I need to create a new issue?
No, of course not. We don't have such penalties in the forum :), my complaining is sufficient and I calmed down. Can you please add the result of this discussion to the tracker? Especially which problem is solved, and which still exists.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mantrap_smart0g

chrisb wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:20 pm If you want to select all constraints you better do it in the constraints list at the left.
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that the application closing is when using the list of constraints on the left on the Task screen, but the way you understand it, was also a bug, so nothing changed much.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mantrap_smart0g wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:58 pm nothing changed much.
Well, it changed, that the invocation is rather different and that it became much less probable to happen since CMD+A is no longer indadvertently invoking the command.